cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

HP Envy Model No. 700-329
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

HP Envy

Model NO. 700-329

Serial NO. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Product NO. G4A95RA#ABL

I've flashed a lot of system BIOS over the years but never have seen a problem like this.

I purchased this system not too long ago and have just recently started using it.

The HP Support Assitant tells me there's a BIOS update, ok so I click on install. Several times.

Each time it keeps doing it's thing & the DOS Box comes up as if it were flashing the BIOS but it just sits there for a minute without anything but a flashing cursor. It reboots the PC but same old BIOS version.

Under "System Information" it still says "BIOS Version/Date AMI 80.16 2014-5-12"

The latest Update says at the HP Support page for my system

"

Description

This package provides an update to HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS (ROM Family 2AF7) for supported models running a supported operating system.

Release details

Released:
2014-12-18

File name:
sp70148.exe [1/1, 10.74M]

Version
80.20 Rev.A

Compatibility:
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Starter (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (64-bit)

Fix/Enhancement

- Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.
- Updated the Intel CPU microcode.

NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled."

It also states in "How To Install"

"1. Click the Download Only button.
2. At the File Download screen, click the Save button.
3. At the Save As screen, save the file to your Desktop.
4. If a message appears stating that the file already exists, click YES to overwrite file.
5. Double-click the icon for the update downloaded to your desktop, and then click NEXT.
6. Follow on-screen instructions.
7. If prompted to restart the system upon completion of the update, click YES and allow system to restart. "

"After I allow an Online Scan from HP Support for my system it says this about the latest BIOS
"
HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF7)

This package provides an update to HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS (ROM Family 2AF7) for supported models running a supported operating system. More details

Released: 2014-12-18  |  Size: 10.74M
Version80.20 Rev.A"

I've read about others with Pavillions having this problem but not really the Envy Series, common HP fix this.

Flashing a system BIOS is easy if everything goes right but it can really mess with a PC if anything goes wrong.

I think there's a secuirty issue with the BIOS version my system has right now, so it should be critical for HP to fix this and not expect the owners to play beta testers and possibly mess their systems up.

I've also tried downloading Version80.20 Rev.A directly from the HP website with the same results and yes, I followed the how to instructions exactly.

Help please HP!

Using pc's since 82. First pc bought 1988. Every day I'm still learning new things about computing.
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Level 10
4,379 4,360 405 627
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

Yes there have been a number of problems lately trying to update to the Version 80.20 BIOS lately involving the Memphis-S monterboard but I see you have the Memphis-B board.  Whether it is releated, I do not know for now as HP has been made aware of the problem.

When I receive further word, I will be in contact with you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

I stumbled across a file where the BIOS Update was after the failed update. Don't ask where I found it as I can't seem to anymore. But, I did find something interesting (at least to me) I  have taken a screen shot for you to see.

Hope it help figure out what's going on.

PS, notice how the "update" area is greyed out? And says "not compatible with this device"?

I also read that HP mentions "stalling". I've been updating system Bios since the early 90's without 1 problem. I let the update go through the install process without touching anything.

The problem is on HP's end.

ScreenCatpure.jpg

Using pc's since 82. First pc bought 1988. Every day I'm still learning new things about computing.
redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

I found a fix that works, at least on my motherboard.

I've updated successfully to the latest BIOS 8020 from 8016.

I'll post how I did it later, everything went well & all is working fine, but I didn't do it from the Desktop. I think that may be the problem trying to flash a BIOS from the desktop or HP's Support Assistant.

Stay tuned while I write down step by step what I did it may take me awhile.

0 Kudos
Level 10
4,379 4,360 405 627
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

@redshore wrote:

I found a fix that works, at least on my motherboard.

I've updated successfully to the latest BIOS 8020 from 8016.

I'll post how I did it later, everything went well & all is working fine, but I didn't do it from the Desktop. I think that may be the problem trying to flash a BIOS from the desktop or HP's Support Assistant.

Stay tuned while I write down step by step what I did it may take me awhile.

Would be greatly appreciated to know on how you performed it.

Has this been confirmed by running msinfo32 and viewing the BIOS version?

BTW: We did attempt by uninstalling HPSA and it still did not install so we ruled out that scenario.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
0 Kudos
Jelle-RO2B
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

really great if you found a solution to this. i hope to see it posted here soon. thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

Ok, here's what I did & the screen shot showing it worked. At least on my pc. It reads long but it actually took me around 20 minutes from start to finish. Hope this helps in some way.

I'm posting a screen shot I just took that shows my way works in flashing the BIOS.

Here's the steps I took, and if you don't feel commfortable doing this then DON'T!!

I've been around computers for over 30 years so I found it easy but when flashing a BIOS there's no 2nd chances, it can mess up a PC badly if done wrong. You've been warned.

1. Download the latest BIOS version"sp70148.exe" and save it to your Desktop.

2.Now close your browser and any open windows. There's no need, at least in my case to shut down your anti-virus, people that say that typically don't know what their talking about not to mention you leave your PC open to nasties.

3. Right Click on the downloaded file and selcet "Run as Administrator". Allow it to run and Do Not touch the mouse or keyboard while it installs. You will see a DOS BOX or a black window appear and a cursor, let it continue. Your PC will Re-boot on its own when it's done, LET IT.

After your PC is back to the Desktop, click on "My Computer" then click on "Windows (c:

You should now see a folder called "SWSETUP"

The date on the folder should say todays date or the date you ran "sp70148.exe"

4. Click on the folder and go to the folder "sp69840" You should see a few files inside called "Flash.bat" "FWUpdhcl.exe" "GUI-8020.exe" "MEM_8020.  "MEM_8020.BIN" & likely one more.

5.Make sure you see these files before doing anything else, DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THEM! Just make sure you see them.

If you see these files, good. If not post and I'll try to help.

Now close the windows and go back to your Desktop.

6. Restart you PC. Before it Boots to the Desktop quickly press ESC on your keyboard.

7. You should now be in the "Startup Menu"

8.Select "F2 System Diagnostics"

9. Now you should see "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI" screen. Mine says "Version 5.7.0.0"

10. Use your mouse and Select "Firmware Management" You will see "BIOS Management" at the top of your screen.

11. Click on "BIOS Update"

You should now  see at the top of your screen "BIOS Management"

Mine says in red "The selected BIOS image was not available, you may select an alternative image file, or cancel the update."

In black below that it says "This system's BIOS ID is (your BIOS version will be two digits a decimal point and two more digits. Mine was 80.16 before I update to 80.20)

"A signature file must also be available in the same directory"

12. Click on "Select BIOS Image To Apply"

This opens up "Select File System"

You should see several options where the files I spoke of earlier can be found. Remember "Windows (C:smileyhappy: SWSETUP"

13. Choose "Windows-Sata (0x0, 0xFFFF,0X0) Drive Partion 4"

14. At the top of the screen it should say "File Navigator" now select with your mouse "SWSETUP"

15. Now select "sp70148"

***16. YOUR BIOS SHOULD UPDATE TO VERSION 80.20 NOW....ALLOW YOUR BIOS TO FLASH, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ON YOUR PC AND DO NOT TURN IT OFF, JUST BE PATIENT AN LET IT FLASH, IT TAKES SOME TIME.***

17. Once the Flash is finished, your PC should boot to the Desktop on its own and you now have the latest BIOS that fixes the security issues.

Again, if you're not comfortable and this post seems complicated to you, skip it until HP finds a quicker fix. :smileyhappy:

I'll post a screen shot showing that it worked for me.

If you're unsure of my post I can understand. I know my way around computers but sometimes it's hard to explain so others get what you're trying to say. :smileyhappy:

UpdatedBIOS.jpg

0 Kudos
Level 10
4,379 4,360 405 627
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

HP has indeed pulled the update 80.20.  No one's system is at risk and you may continue to use your computer.  Everyone here is still on my contact list as events change.

0 Kudos
MaidenUSA
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

My BIOS update still hasn't gone through either and the screen shotted picture also prompted me to do a recovery file but in doing so just consumed my 6TB External Hard drive to make a recovery disk...  I'm beyond annoyed.  Seriously HP, if you're going to push this action at least have the decency to advise users of how much space they will need and that placing it on a hard drive will render any left over space unuseable.  What I'd like more than anything is to develop platforms that cater to computer illiterate people, all of these posts are way over my head and it shouldn't be this way to use an everyday household appliance...  

0 Kudos
redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

Good morning MaidenUSA, my post seems to have given you a lot of grief. My intention was to find out what was causing the BIOS update to fail & i'm a curious person when it comes to computers, if something doesn't work the way it should, I dig deep to find out why.

Although I did post a long drawn out description, it was more for the Experts to perhaps get HP to find a fix.

Don't feel too bad though as I'm likely the only person that has that BIOS installed, although the computer has been working ok since, I still wonder if it will cause any problems when he next BIOS update will come around, I doubt it but who knows.

I don't understand how in your case a recovery disk could take anywhere near 6TB.

Is there any chance you could post a screen shot of the 6TB file here?

All the best

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation