cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DravenInc
Level 1
5 4 0 0
Message 11 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

Hey guys...I too have a 700-329 and was getting the message from the HP Support Assistant that the Bios needed to be updated...I tried it, and it said it didn't update. My current Bios if I look at system info is 80.20...is it correct that this is the current version, and I should not have a need to update further?

0 Kudos
TrueFalcon
2 2 0 0
Message 12 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

Hi, I got a 700-329 too.  Specifically this one:

Model #: 700-329
Product #: G4A95AA#ABL
Serial #: MXX#######
Software Build #: 14AM2RRA603#SABL#DABL
Service ID #: 20140610

Manufacturer    Hewlett-Packard
Model    2AF7 (SOCKET 0)
Version    1.00
Chipset Vendor    Intel
Chipset Model    Haswell
Chipset Revision    06
Southbridge Vendor    Intel
Southbridge Model    H87
Southbridge Revision    C2
System Temperature    48 °C
BIOS Brand    AMI
Version    80.15
Date    4/15/2014

I've updated it to Windows 10 and a Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB SSD.  Everything is running great and my tech knowledge is strong.  The original HDD is still there, now plugged into SATA1; the SSD is on SATA0.

I haven't tried to update the 8015 to 8020 yet; I'm wondering if I should (take the risk) or just leave it as is.

What's changed? 

Is there a problem in 8015 that 8020 has fixed or is there some features added? 

Would I notice any difference after updating to 8020? 

Is there any security or hardware risk in staying with 8015?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

0 Kudos
Highlighted
redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 13 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

DravenInc

Hi, you have the latest version & are good to go.

Using pc's since 82. First pc bought 1988. Every day I'm still learning new things about computing.
DravenInc
Level 1
5 4 0 0
Message 14 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

Thanks redshore 🙂

0 Kudos
redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 15 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

Hi Stu,

I started this thread back in March and found my own way to update to 8020. It worked fine for me as there hasn't been any issues since, but I come from the DOS days & took matters into my own hands so to speak.

Go back to the top of page 1 of this thread & you'll see my origianl post at the top.

Your system actually has an earlier BIOS version than mine did before I updated. I had 8016 before I did the manual update to 8020. So, I would say yes, there has to be a security issue with your system since HP as I quote below published there was.

"Version

80.20 Rev.A

Compatibility:
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Starter (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (64-bit)

Fix/Enhancement

- Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.
- Updated the Intel CPU microcode."

Notice under "Fix/Enhancement" it states"Improved security of UEFI" etc..that's what concerned me.

Since it's a BIOS update the safest way is to let the "HP Support Assistant" scan your pc & let it check for any BIOS updates, it will tell you if your system requires  an update.

Let me know if the scan works for you. Hopefully they've fixed the auto update issues of the past.

Using pc's since 82. First pc bought 1988. Every day I'm still learning new things about computing.
0 Kudos
redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 16 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

Glad to have helped! Thanks

0 Kudos
TrueFalcon
2 2 0 0
Message 17 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

OK.  I will give it a try on Saturday morning.  So far my only BIOS update was Amiga WorkBench 1.3 to 2.0.  And that was done by replacing a CMOS chip and using a new set of  WB floppies.  Different times ...

I'll let you know how it goes.

Stu

0 Kudos
redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 18 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Update BIOS

Thanks for letting me know. Yes, the days of booting from 5 1/4 inch floppies on my first Amstrad.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation