Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (1,273 Views)

Change of CPU?

Hello. I have a Pavilion6045uk, which has an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 cpu. I recently installed Winows 7 with no major problems. I am aware that the processor currently fitted does not support Intel Virtualisation Technology. If I were to purchase a new processor, such as a Q9300 (which does support VT), would I then be able to run the virtual XP mode? Or, would BIOS not allow the VT to work? Your assistance would be much appreciated as I would like to run a number of old XP-era programs. Thank you for your time
0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 4 (1,263 Views)

Re: Change of CPU?

If you installed 7 Pro or Ultimate, Virtual PC and XP-Mode will run on the system. (Home fails to use XP mode, but can do VPC)

Changing a CPU can have a big effect on the system. You will want to use Device Manager (control panel) to 'uninstall' the driver, and 'scan for harware changes', and be sure the right drivers are available. Since you upgraded on your own, you may find you need to get the Intel drivers on the system, depending on the CPU type. As far as the BIOS settings are concerned, you will be able to locate any virtualization setting in the BIOS setup as needed.

Your system will boot the new CPU just fine in most cases, but the better drivers and scan are necessary to use it well.

Mark L. Ferguson
Distinguished Professor
Message 3 of 4 (1,270 Views)

If you go into your BIOS you should see "Virtualization Technology" on the Power tab. If you install a new processor, set this to "Enabled".

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Honor Student
Message 4 of 4 (1,228 Views)

Thanks for your help there - will plunge ahead at some point with some sort of a CPU upgrade!

RF

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation