cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
LeeBlackman
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Chromebook recovery steps do not work

Chrome OS

Hi everyone,

On my chormebook, I receive the error message "Chrome OS is missing or damaged..." when I turn it on. It happened several times in the past but I was able to recover the OS pretty easily.

This time, we've tried to reinstall the OS several times with different USB sticks and we receive an error message saying "an unexpected error occurred..."

We contacted Google support service on the chat, we've followed their instructions to hard refresh several times, it didn't work.

They sent us this email below (which basically explains exactly what we were doing from the beginning and which is explained everywhere on the FAQ, so not really helpful):

1. On the working computer (not the Chromebook with the error), install the recovery app.
  2. Open the app and follow the on-screen instructions to create the recovery media.
  3. Open the Chromebook you want to recover.
  4. If you have anything connected to this Chromebook (such as a mouse, SD card, or external hard drive), remove it.
  5. Enter recovery mode:
    • If you have a Chromebook with a keyboard, press and hold Esc + Refresh Refresh, then press Power Power. Let go of Power. When a message shows on the screen, let go of the other keys.
  6. You'll see one of these messages:
    • "Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card."
    • "Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card."
  7. Insert the recovery media you've created (SD card or USB drive).

For more information you can visit this link.

Of course, it didn't work, so they told us to contact HP support...

What drives me nuts is that, as usual, it happened just after the 2 years free period expired (coincidence? I don't think so...).

Thanks for your help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,466
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Chromebook recovery steps do not work

@LeeBlackman

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I read your post and understand that you have an HP Chromebook. There's an error message saying that the Chrome OS is missing or damaged. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I did check and found that you have performed the correct steps for system recovery in Chromebook. If you're still unable to recover the Chrome OS then I suggest you to reach out to HP phone support to explore the service options available. You may reach phone support by filling out an online form on www.hp.com/contacthp. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation