Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Presario SR1950NX
Microsoft Windows XP

Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Addition 2005
AM Athlon 64 processor 3800+ Mem 1024MB HDD 250GB
Product # EX325AA#BA

Troubleshooting performed:  I've been through a lot, I think it may be worse. It started with Active Desktop problem screen. I'm a beginner. I followed the troubleshooting guide for HP internet connection failure. I've followed a couple suggestions that I found online. --
"The page cannot be displayed" is what I see whenever I try to get on the internet. An expired Norton security says maybe a virus.
Recently was given the computer by a friend. He said it was working when he last used it 5 years ago. The first thing I saw was the problem with the Active Desktop. And it snowballed from there. I'm desperate for help. Please help!
Christopher [Personal Information Removed]
     Issue Description Information: Cannot connect to Internet.

Troubleshooting performed: Share your troubleshooting history and any information to duplicate the issue.Connection Method: Share relevant connection information: USB, Hardwired LAN, Wireless? 

Comcast Xfinity Cable and Wi-Fi -- right now on Ethernet but do have Logitech USB WiFi available.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@CPA71240

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand your Compaq Presario SR1950NX isn't connecting to the internet anymore,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

What kind of internet is it? DSL, Dialup, broadband, etc...

Did you attempt a system restore to an earlier date it had been working?

Considering the Norton expired, did you remove it and attempt installing windows defender or any other free antivirus protection using an offline USB or CD/DVD?

While you respond to that, here's a few things you should know:

WinXP is no longer supported by Microsoft as it's Obsolete, that said, I understand the trouble you've been through and I would love to help, although I can only provide basic support:

I recommend you start with the below steps:

Step 1: Checking cables and connections
Step 2: Resetting the cable/DSL modem
Step 3: Examining the IP Address
Step 4: Examining the hardware
Step 5: Reinstalling network adapter software drivers
Step 6: Troubleshooting protocol settings
Step 7: Resetting the TCP/IP protocol in Windows 98 and ME
Step 8: Working with other Internet software

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON EACH OF THE ABOVE STEPS.

Keep me posted, 

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers! 

Good Luck. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi thanks for the information. I've tried all the steps meticulously. Twice even. I also used the computers Setup Wizard to no avail. I also followed the Microsoft support center guide and no help. I did a full scan and a full PC restore and still no internet connection. It reads "this page cannot be found." It also says at the top of computer "cannot find server server - Microsoft Internet Explorer." --- One more thing. It won't accept website certificates. At the top of the box it reads "website certified by a unknown authority." Somehow I feel that I'm just one click away.
Any other suggestions? Can I try anything else?.

Oh and it shows the computer connected at 100 mbs.

Thanks Christopher

HP Recommended

@CPA71240

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

If it's showing that it's connected, you may want to check with a different web browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox,

Also, check if the applications such as windows store or windows updates are working.

Let me know if you can use the internet in safe mode with networking (access by tapping F8 during restart).

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've tried Modzilla because I already had it loaded. I couldn't try Chrome or Google or Opera because I can't get in the internet to download them. I started the computer in safe mode with networking and I could get as far as pulling up page to select a website. For instance Google but always when I select the website individually it gives me those cannot connect errors. Doing the HP repair tells me x somewhere in step for that if there's a Plus on the network adapter I think then go to step 6. I think I'm going to try what's in step 5 and make sure the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) name matches the Ethernet Adapter name from the list of items for connection. In the multiple TCP/IP references that are listed, I don't remember seeing anything close to TCP/IP -> 3Com Fast Ethernet Adapter. I'm sorry, I'm not at the computer right now. But I do remember a pointment that directed me to make sure the Box 3.0 is checked 2.0 is checked 1.0 is checked but there was another one to make sure was checked with couple letters a slash and another letter I think that I didn't see in my list at all.
Is there any way to talk by phone so you could follow along with what I see?
Thanks Christopher [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

@CPA71240

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

I'm afraid we don't have any options of talking by phone while you attempt the steps as off now, however, you can always Contact HP phone support for further assistance (if need be).

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.