cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compaq SR1729UK won't start

product_name : Compaq Presario SR1729UK Desktop PC
part_number : EP150AA
purchase date : 8/2006
operating system : Microsoft Windows XP Home

problem description : Power light is on at rear of machine. When power button at front of machine is pressed light comes on briefly, system does not start, light on rear of system goes off. If I hold power button in on front of system for 5 seconds, light comes on at rear again but symptoms persist.

troubleshooting : Have gone through all steps in online support and looked at

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Desktop-PC-questions/M8100n-desktop-won-t-power-up-turn-on-Power-...

still same problem.

Assume that it is motherboard problem but is there a method of confirming that and/or is there a replacement motherboard that is suitable?

Base processor

PentiumD 920 (P) DC 2.8 GHz

• 800 MHz front side bus
  • Socket 775

Chipset

Intel 945P

Motherboard

• Manufacturer: Asus
  • Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE

HP/Compaq motherboard name: Lithium-UL8E

Can I just drop the hard drive into a new barebones system and it will work or is there some (hardware/software) licensing problem with Windows that will inhibit that?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 12
12,390 12,218 582 1,543
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Several problems with tranfering a hard drive to a new system, 

1. Violates your license

2. Installed drivers in the OS will cause problems with the new hardware, I doubt it will even boot.

It could be a failed Power Supply.

3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, thanks for that, but...

1.  OK, I accept that although I am more interested in whether there is some Compaq/MS physical/logical aspect that will inhibit it. It is a ludicrous situation that you should be forced into buying a new version of the operating system. That would double the price of any barebones system that I buy. I live in a country where most people have no qualms about using a boot-legged copy (of anything) and with 40 years in IT, having had my own system building business and been a MS authorized reseller and with my morals and ethics I should be setting an example. However, now retired and on a pension (older and wiser?) I should say "[text removed]" and go along with the crowd. Why should I pay that much money just to access my data?

2. How on earth can it not boot up? I have never had a system fail to boot solely because the hard drive has been moved from another system. Not only that, surely the operating system is capable of sorting out new (?) hardware access issues, as the operating system is loading. I thought that was what modern operating systems were all about.

Unless you can identify why the symptoms that it shows occur, I cannot understand why it is the power supply (and HP's diagnostics, for what they are worth, agree).

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 12
12,390 12,218 582 1,543
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. Your moral backsliding is completely up to you, I was just stating the facts, you can get your data from the drive without using pirated software. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you don't like the licensing agreement then use Linux.

2. I did not say It could not boot up, just most likely it will not, why? because it is going to try and load all the drivers for the old motherboard and hardware, it will most likely BSOD when it does, no it cannot load drivers for a new motherboard, Its not like an OS has artificial intelligence during the boot process. 

All that being said there is a workaround, see this article, scroll down to "Replacing a failed motherboard" for the procedure, this will replace the motherboard and other hardware drivers if they are available, and will delete any that are not correct, this get it bootable so you can install the rest of the drivers, check device manager when the repair is done.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

I suggest you use a XP cd with SP3 integrated for the repair. This still breaks your license agreement.

Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. Surely the licensing agreement applies (should apply) to one computer per copy of an operating system. Compaq have their money for the system, MS have their money for Windows. (What you are suggesting is that) there is no way that I can access my data without purchasing another copy/version of the operating system (if I want to remain with Windows). You criticize my potential “moral backsliding” by use of the phrase. How about the morals and ethics of these two companies who deny me access to my data?
  2. We must have a different understanding of the word “boot”. The bootstrap process finishes as soon as it invokes the operating system.
  3. Thanks for the link. It is that sort of response that I expect, not lecturing and sarcasm. However, it is very ambiguous as it refers to “Microsoft views the CPU as the one remaining base component that still defines that original computer (my underlining). Because the motherboard contains the CPU, when the motherboard is replaced for reasons other than defect, a new computer is essentially created” when it may be that the CPU is not necessarily replaced.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,809 5,039
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sunnybrooke1603,

If you replace your motherboard, you can get your OEM Windows license reactivated by calling Microsoft.  If the mobo is not an HP authorized and properly tattooed mobo then the HP Recovery Disks will not work.

You can always pull the hard drive and place it into an external enclosure and then use another PC to get at the data.

Booting up the OS is sometimes loosely thought of as starting the OS. Boostrap code is want brings in the OS and is initiated by the bios.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,494 4,482 314 1,466
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello sunnybrook1603, Sorry to hear you are still having problems with your HP computer.

As Mumbodog suggested, it appears the power supply has failed.

You can check this fairly easily if you have access to a volt meter.

Locate the main ATX connector and disconnect it from the motherboard.

Locate the green wire and the black wire across from the green wire in the 20 or 24 pin connector, and with the use of a paper clip firmly inserted in these two wire terminals, connect and safely bond the two together.

With a piece of isolating tape or other material, insure the paper clip does not short circuit to any other wire terminals.

Connect the Power cord to the power supply.  This will allow the power supply to become active.

To check the output voltage of the power supply, check the voltage with a volt meter in the flat plastic connector that connects to your hard drive or CD\DVD drive (Molex) connector with one lead of the volt meter on the yellow wire terminal and the other lead of the volt meter to the black wire terminal and if the power supply is working properly, you should display at least 12 volts on your volt meter.

If you get a -12 volt reading, just reverse the volt meter leads. This depends on the volt meter. Some volt meters will read this way while others will not.

This is not an absolute verifiable test since the power supply is not under a load, but can give you a fairly good indication as to the output of your power supply.

If you do not have the 12 volts, or very close to 12 volts, your power is defective and will need to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
12,390 12,218 582 1,543
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@sunnybrook1603 wrote:
  1. Surely the licensing agreement applies (should apply) to one computer per copy of an operating system. Compaq have their money for the system, MS have their money for Windows. (What you are suggesting is that) there is no way that I can access my data without purchasing another copy/version of the operating system (if I want to remain with Windows). You criticize my potential “moral backsliding” by use of the phrase. How about the morals and ethics of these two companies who deny me access to my data?
  2. We must have a different understanding of the word “boot”. The bootstrap process finishes as soon as it invokes the operating system.
  3. Thanks for the link. It is that sort of response that I expect, not lecturing and sarcasm. However, it is very ambiguous as it refers to “Microsoft views the CPU as the one remaining base component that still defines that original computer (my underlining). Because the motherboard contains the CPU, when the motherboard is replaced for reasons other than defect, a new computer is essentially created” when it may be that the CPU is not necessarily replaced.

1. Surely the license agreement is what Microsoft says it is, not what you want it to be. I made no criticism, you made the statement yourself, I just put it into words you could understand. Two wrongs don't make a right. You have No control on what others do, only your actions. They deny you nothing, you can access your data using an Ubuntu CD, it's free, no more excuses.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

2. The OS has its own "booting" process, and XP cannot load different drivers for the motherboard as it boots.

3. No lecture or sarcasm, you opened the door on all this discussion, adding all kinds of information in your original post that was not needed to answer your basic questions. Go ahead and pirate the software if it makes you feel better, you seem to have made justification for it already. OEM software from Microsoft is tied to the hardware it was originally installed on For LIFE. Now if you want to purchase a full "Retail" license, then yes you can do what you suggest legally, move it to another motherboard or PC.  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation