cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer Blu-ray Drive Spins Down While Watching A Movie

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

This isn't an HP desk top, but an HP branded desk top Blu-ray drive, so I though I would post here.

The rest of the computer is custom built with a Z87M MSI MoBo, an Intel 4770k and an EVGA 980 NVIDIA card.

I know a Blu-ray drive reads ahead so it can fill the buffer with in the drive to keep the video frames coming at a smooth pace.

Randomly while watching a movie the drive will spin down causing the movie to pause and start again after the drive spins up. Very annoying.

Is this common problem with this drive, or it's simply running out of internal memory _ maybe  a better drive from LG ?

Or perhaps the computer is sensing that it needs to save power so shuts down the drive, but I'm pretty sure all the settings that pertain to watching a movie are set on maximum.

The computer based Blu-ray player is the latest version Power DVD14.

Any suggestion's would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Retired
Retired
7,336 6,290 359 764
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @HaggisCat,

I understand that your computer's Blu-Ray drive spins down while watching a movie, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

Since this sounds like a possible resource issue, I recommend taking a look at this resource on How to perform a clean boot in Windows to free up more memory on your computer. I also recommend following this document on Resolving Slow System Performance (Windows 😎. This should help improve the speed and efficiency of your programs on your computer.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry for the late reply.

It doesn't seem like it's a resource problem as when watching a Blu-ray movie, 19% of RAM is being utilized. (4GB on a dedicated HTPC)

It may be just some sort of quirky problem with the drive though.

If I watch a movie from start to finish, it's fine.

If I pause it or jump ahead, this is when it seems to happen.

I don't think anything can be done about that.

0 Kudos
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,809 5,037
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@HaggisCat

Post the HP product number or model.  I have a HP Blu-ray internal drive.

Did you time the period which will invoke the spin down?

Drives usually have a built in spin down value to protect the hardware.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
Alisea
Level 3
61 61 1 6
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

probably needs a cleaning.. first see if your able to play other discs....if not open your tray.. if its a laptop u should beable to see the lense( make sure it does not close on u while cleaning) get a q tip and dip it in a lil bit of rubbing alcohol and gently clean the lense.. use other end of q tip to dr clean it.. ( give it a while til its dry b4 u try it).. or u can go buy a cleaning disk at a store

Level 15
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@HaggisCat

On one of my PCs, I use a Plextor PX-B940SA Blu-ray drive and it's extremely quiet when playing, pausing and after resume.  This particular optical drive has a 4 MB cache which is typically twice what HP drives may contain.

BTW-  Cleaning would have zero effect on your issue from my personal experiences with optical drives.  Dirt issues would cause reading and writing issues, stutters and pauses.

Did you check for a firmware update?

HP Photosmart 6520
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies everyone.

No time to look into things during the week and I will report back as time permits.

And thanks for the tip Alisea, but I agree with Dave, the lens is fine, I go in there at least once a year to clean the lens and generally rid the machine of dust.

I don't use the drive that much, but it is annoying when it does spin down.

I will be getting a new drive probably at the end of the year _ it will be able to read 4K Blu-rays. (depending on what the industry has to offer and what the specs are)

So Dave it should have plenty of lots memory cache.

And yes, that makes sense about the cache, thanks !

0 Kudos
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The model number is CH28N  (A2HH).

And no, sorry, I didn't time the period which invokes the spin down.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@HaggisCat

Typically the firmware settings in the drive will dictate the spin down time. You could try another application and see if that makes a difference.  Cyberlink has PowerDVD 15 which is 4K rated and has a 30 day money back guarantee. A free trial is also available. 

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am running Power DVD 14 now, but when you suggested that I try version 15, something occured to me.

The spin down occured when I was using Media Player Classic, if I remember correctly.

It's something that may have happened and i can't be sure, but if it's software related, that may be the cause _

it is just free software after all.

Thanks ! :generic:

P.S.

interestingly, most Blu-ray drives only have 2 MB of memory cache.

Or they rate it at 1.5 GB per second _ not sure if that's better then having a 2 MB cache ???

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation