Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ5207SC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Computer insideWhen I turn on the power for the computer, the green light on the back lights up to indicate that there's power. But it wont turn on when I press the power button. I figured that something might've been wrong with the button so I took of the cover. The motherboard is a H-I41-uATX, here's a link for the specs and stuff: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01903990

I tried using the trick where you stick a screwdriver between some pins, but it didn't work. I did it on the pins in F_PANEL (You can see the motherboard layout in the support-link) I don't know if It's the wrong place, or if I'm putting it between the right pins, or the screwdriver is conductive, or if my power simply doesn't work.

Please tell me if I should try again, if I'm doing someting wrong, or if I can try something else to fix this.

I don't know if the battery (PS-5301-08HF) has died, but I don't see why it should, it all worked like 4 months ago.

Also tell me if you need any pictures of the computer.

Thanks in advance

-Anton

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Anton

I am sorry to say this scenario does not usually end well. There is no happy ending.

Okay, let me ask you one question,.. do you have fun diagnosing problems?

For example, having a solid green light on the power supply (PS) at the back of the tower is a good sign but does not necessarily mean the power supply is providing the correct amperage. Now you have to try a different power supply. Do you have a known good replacement power supply? Remove the current PS and install the replacement

You reset CMOS by shorting the pins on the motherboard , which is good to do, but this has not solved your problem.

Try replacing the motherboard battery.

Troubleshooting requires replacing each component with a known good component to find the bad one.

It is expensive and time consuming.

Take the PC to a PC tech for diagnosis.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Okay, I'm going to buy a PSU, know one that will fit and work with this computer?

HP Recommended

Hello Anton

Before spending a lot of money try to eliminate other components. The CR 2032 battery is inexpensive.

1. Replace the CR 2032 motherboard battery.

2. Pull RAM and try to boot PC. See if you get missing RAM error beeps or flashing power LED error message.

3.Try each stick of RAM, one at a time, in each memory slot.

4. Disconnect HDD power cable, optical drive power cable. Then only connect monitor (try a different monitor and power/video cable) to back of tower. It sounds like you only get the green light on the power supply but no front power LED, HDD activity LED, or any sounds such as the HDD or optical drive initializing.

If no response then you are down to a few components. Do you have  a graphics card installed on the motherboard? If yes, pull the card and connect monitor to the onboard graphics port. If no, try adding an inexpensive graphics card.

1. Bad power switch.

2. Bad power supply.

3. Motherboard or CPU has failed.

You will have to replace/swap each of the above components, including RAM and graphics card to find the bad one.

This is why it gets expensive and is cheaper to take to a PC repair tech. They have this stuff and can swap components until they find the cause.  Getting or having all of these components available to swap will exceed the value of this PC.

If you really want to try the power supply then measure the existing one. Buy a PS with similar dimension and equal or greater power output.

Here are some very good PS vendors:

EVGA, Seasonic, Corsair, and Super Flower.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.