Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Santa_Rosa_John Top Student
Top Student
4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer will not start. Seems to be in sleep mode and I have a black screen, no cursor, nothing.

HP Pavilion 500-267c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On my HP Pavilion 500-267c I have used Windows 10 64-bit for several months without a problem.  After a Windows upgrade a couple of months ago, I cannot wake the computer up.  After a long while, sometimes days long, it will suddenly awaken and all is well until the next time I put it to sleep (which I now avoid, of course) or when there is a neighborhood power failure, as happened last night, and it goes off.  

When I try to restart it, the monitor stays dark and the white light near the power button goes on and off constantly -- making me think it is sleeping.  I have tried a hard reset and it doesn't help.  

Please tell me what else I can do.  Waiting forever for it to wake itself up is unsatisfactory, to say the least.  

H E L P, please.  THANKS!!  --John

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 918
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer will not start. Seems to be in sleep mode and I have a black screen, no cursor, nothing.

Hi @Santa_Rosa_John,

Thanks for the post. I see you are not getting any display or your computer is not booting to the desktop. Kudos to you for doing a hard reset on the computer. I would like to help from here. 

Recommend you to perform a hard reset again. 

Make sure that no external device are connected apart from power, monitor, keyboard and mouse. 

Try to turn on the computer. If the issue persists. 

Please do a hard reset again. Hold down the Win + B key on the keyboard and turn the computer ON. (if possible, use a USB keyboard.)

If the issue persists. 

Do a hard reset again, turn the computer ON and keep tapping the ESC key on startup. 

Try a different monitor or wall outlet. 

Please refer to the below article for assistance. 

HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS

HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does Not Start

If the issue persists, please contact our phone support for the service options. 

Let me know if those steps worked for you. 
If they did, that’s awesome! 
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation