cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
anglogator
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Condusiv ExpressCache modification on Envy Phoenix 810-135qe or similar

HP Recommended

Anyone have details on how adjust/modify the customized version of Condusiv's ExperssCache software on an 810qe? The best info I've found is the ReadMe on my PC 😕

HP L1 support just kept saying that I had a CTO, no mods needed, it's the best, and so on. I made it up to L2 or L3, and was told the only info/support I would get from HP was to get the original hardware and software configs to work (which didn't include changing anything on ExpressCache). The guy was nice enough to say that if the thing went belly-up, callback playing dumb, and they'd help get it back to base-state.

I know the retail version of the software has a GUI cousin that comes with it (or is built-in). I've also read that other PC manufacturers included something akin to it on their OEM versions. Anyone tried interacting with HP's version using one of these tools (assuming any are stand alone) or even replacing HP's with the retail ExpressCache?

I've thought of (1) copying the program over to test environment (an old Dell Latitude I abuse like it's my passion) just to see what options come up, and if that doesn't get me anywhere, (2) removing the mSATA card, erasing ExpressCache, reinstalling the card, and repurposing it, or (3) doing nothing and letting go "unused" (I hate that idea as I'll have little insight into the heck it and ExpressCache are up to, and it's a waste)... I know, I know, a lot of work for little gain, but I paid for the thing, so I want to use it...

All of this is a part of hardware reconfig where I'm going to a SSD boot and switching the HDD to a second drive. The struggles of others dealing with "something" in BIOS/UEFI (and I suspect ExpressCache) when trying to simply switch out the HDD for an SSD are well documented on here and other forms. Some careless (thinking the SSD will be PnP on the same slot as the HHD after cloning) but others were knowledgeable and still had bad issues.  I'm trying to rethink the process, starting with @old_geekster 's way of first getting the machine to boot on the SSD with the HDD removed, but wanting it all, I'm going to reinstall the stock HDD reformatted and I'd like to reconfig ExpressCache to buffer the the now non-boot HDD (I understand ExpressCache will do this as IRST is only a boot drive tool).

If I can get the SSD as boot drive and the HDD active as a second drive, I may give up and just remove the thing

Sorry for the long narrative (hoping for some ad libs that are off topic)... Hopefully Obi-Wan Kenobie isn't my only hope (he ain't comin' and I'd rather not wipe CMOS)...

Cheers,

A-Gator

Ref: @old_geekster and @airbridge discussion on the HDD to SSD switch ref-ed above... http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/UEFI-BIOS-Access-Changing-Boot-Drive-Order-To-SSD-arrg...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
anglogator
Author
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recap...

-So I took Old Geekster's recipie and it worked perfectly. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/UEFI-BIOS-Access-Changing-Boot-Drive-Order-To-SSD-arrg... Ran with a single 850 PRO SSD for a month or more without a problem. And then I decided to I had read every bloody tech thread on earth regarding this mystery executable that fractures these machines upon re-introduction of their stock HDDs. I had some theories, and I guess I felt lucky this morning...

End of story... 

-I reformatted the Seagate HDD with another machine. I tested the water by using it as an external drive via USB for a few days on the machine from where it came, and nothing out of the ordinary occured.

-This morning, I removed Condusiv ExpressCache and the mSATA SSD afterward. Not getting into the software removal, as I'm sure if were to repeat it several times, I'd fail a good bit.  

-Reinstalled the now clean OEM HDD in slot 5. Moved the 850 to slot 0 (the HDD's original seat). Game time.

-As expected, "it" (I suppose executables in UEFI?) noticed the Seagate and things went haywire. My experience was different in that I don't think the HDD ever lit up and I ended up on an HP recovery screen with an option to have Win 7 attempt a fix.

-Win 7 indicated it applied fixes after going through it 2 times, but I never got past the HP insignia.

-Third time, (and things were happened slower each round), I went to BIOS.

-In BIOS I checked the boot order of UEFI 1st and noticed that the HDD was below UEFI in the BIOS sequence.

-I put the 850 a spot north of Windows boot sequence, and it's booted up wonderfully ever since. 

I bought this PC thinking, I don't have the time or interest to do a build, I've never interacted with a HDDxSSD cache set, so I'll give it a go and if I want, later on I'll move to solid state. I also should mention that I've been a loyal HP customer for decades... Realizing they let people buy what a machine that was purposefully designed to resist config changes without explicitly informing the consumer is outrageous.

I put 10x the time into getting this thing where I wanted... More than I cold have ever put into a build. Although this thing is now massively smooth, I'll be DIY the rest of my days.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 14,892 1,811 3,000
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

According to HP internal, the Condusiv's ExperssCache software either works or it doesn't.  There are some commands available to tell if it's working and also to get some stats.

If you have a 64GB mSATA card and not the HP 24 GB model then you might be able to get Windows 8.1 retail version to load if it recognizes the mSATA as a legitimate installation and boot device.  Your best shot would be UEFI mode with secure boot disabled and the BIOS storage option set to RAID.

If you want to go the SSD path then acquire a 240GB+ model and remove the mSATA card.

You might want to review the thread for some tips.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
anglogator
Author
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice, Big Dave.

anglogator
Author
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I cloned the HDD last night with the HP 810 using Samsung's OTS software. Physically removed the HDD before rebooting using the 850 Pro and I now have the fastest PC I've ever used. Observations...

-Win Update queued~20 or 30 citicals right after I booted with the SSD the first time (I only scanned the list but it was all security titled updates relating to Office, and a few for .NET. I have an X86 and an x64 laptop running almost all the time and neither had a single update last night.

-The machine blue screened and recovered 15 minutes or so after optimizing the OS with Samsung's Magician software (the changes required reboot). That was ~4 hours ago. Nothing since. I think I set up some pretty detailed logging several weeks ago when I decided to do this. I'll see if that sheds some light. On the bright side, it seemed like only it only to 10 seconds to from blue to post-reboot.

I'd also add that Magician is true to it's name (in one instance)... I have a new Asus 21:9 from which I've never been able to get right Long list of issues... I had given up assuming it was something I'd never figure out (obscure process in v-card, some bottleneck on the board, and so on. An old Westinghouse it's extended with looked 2x better). Today, my RAW files look more real than what I can see out the window. It seems like they put a good deal of resources into getting that programming right.

One other unrelated thought...

-There is an open USB 3.0 slot but the the 810-135qe am with 2.0s on the front and back facing 3.0s on top with the 3.5s. The chansis my 2.0s are mounted in have open spots for two more USBs. That's a nice, cheap get if you want it.

Step #2 will be figuring out what ExpressCache did and the status of the little mSATA SSD.  I can now see it again in certain diagnostics, but not common views like WinEx or file menus in IE or Excel. Before now, I only recall seeing it in DevMan and maybe one or two other diagnostics.

anglogator
Author
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Big D,

When you noted above, "If you want to go the SSD path then acquire a 240GB+ model and remove the mSATA card."? I left it in and haven't seen any glitches.

Thanks,

AG

anglogator
Author
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recap...

-So I took Old Geekster's recipie and it worked perfectly. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/UEFI-BIOS-Access-Changing-Boot-Drive-Order-To-SSD-arrg... Ran with a single 850 PRO SSD for a month or more without a problem. And then I decided to I had read every bloody tech thread on earth regarding this mystery executable that fractures these machines upon re-introduction of their stock HDDs. I had some theories, and I guess I felt lucky this morning...

End of story... 

-I reformatted the Seagate HDD with another machine. I tested the water by using it as an external drive via USB for a few days on the machine from where it came, and nothing out of the ordinary occured.

-This morning, I removed Condusiv ExpressCache and the mSATA SSD afterward. Not getting into the software removal, as I'm sure if were to repeat it several times, I'd fail a good bit.  

-Reinstalled the now clean OEM HDD in slot 5. Moved the 850 to slot 0 (the HDD's original seat). Game time.

-As expected, "it" (I suppose executables in UEFI?) noticed the Seagate and things went haywire. My experience was different in that I don't think the HDD ever lit up and I ended up on an HP recovery screen with an option to have Win 7 attempt a fix.

-Win 7 indicated it applied fixes after going through it 2 times, but I never got past the HP insignia.

-Third time, (and things were happened slower each round), I went to BIOS.

-In BIOS I checked the boot order of UEFI 1st and noticed that the HDD was below UEFI in the BIOS sequence.

-I put the 850 a spot north of Windows boot sequence, and it's booted up wonderfully ever since. 

I bought this PC thinking, I don't have the time or interest to do a build, I've never interacted with a HDDxSSD cache set, so I'll give it a go and if I want, later on I'll move to solid state. I also should mention that I've been a loyal HP customer for decades... Realizing they let people buy what a machine that was purposefully designed to resist config changes without explicitly informing the consumer is outrageous.

I put 10x the time into getting this thing where I wanted... More than I cold have ever put into a build. Although this thing is now massively smooth, I'll be DIY the rest of my days.

View solution in original post

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation