cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
star-1362
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Connection to high speed network

HP Recommended
HP Envy 23 D290 Touchsmart all
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I upgraded to a hi-speed AT&T network.  The network does not show up on my internet access popup screen which allows you to connect to a network.   My Envy has a Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn wifi adapter.  Why does my pc not recognize the availability of this network???

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,342
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @star-1362,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are having Wi-Fi connectivity issues on your HP Envy All-in-one PC. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• The exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Is the ethernet connection working on the PC?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

The Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn is a single band (2.4 GHz) only card.

You can normally determine if the wireless card is single or dual band by looking at its description.

b/g/n = single band (2.4 GHz).

a/b/g/n or a/g/n = dual band (2.4/5.0 Ghz).

This could be one of the reason why it's not showing up your network, however, you can make it work. You would need to launch the router page, on the router page, please scroll down to Mode and change it from 5GHz to 2.4GHz save the changes and then try and check if it works,

If the issue persists, please follow the steps suggested below:

First, we have a step by step guide to walk you through the troubleshooting process here: Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection

A second option is to try these steps:
Power cycle the network:
1. Shut down your notebook.
2. Unplug the power to your router.
3. Unplug the power to your modem.
4. Wait at least 45 seconds.
5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.
6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.
7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.

Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right-click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Test an ethernet connection:
Self-explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.

Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

If those three steps do not resolve the issue, try this document published by Microsoft for networking issues: Wired and wireless network problems. You can change the operating system with the drop-down in the upper-right corner of the document.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation