cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
wonderzebra
Level 1
11 7 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Cpu upgrade for Pavilion A6130A ????

Hi,

I was given a unwanted Pavilion A6130A.

I want to upgrade the cpu from the default model and see on its spec sheet (http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01109618&lang=en&cc=u...) that its listed max is a E4300 core 2.

Now I saw on the same spec sheet it states that the max ram it takes is 2  gig, yet as a test from  my windows 7 desktop, took out 2 x 2gig ddr2 240 pin ram sticks and  slid them into the A6130A and it booted happily with the 4 gig of ram, no blue screens no error messages and the machine was snappy and responsive.  I since put the sticks back in the  win 7 machine and hope in the morning I can buy 4 gig of ram from my local PC supplier for it.

So this experience now makes me question  can I put a  E4400, E4500, E4600 or a E4700 cpu in, now my bios is a 5.13 issue and the highest bios listed on the HP driver support page is 5.12. Does this mean the support info not being updated or  did I end up being given a late edition model?

I have since made the recovery disks for the machine and transferred the original Vista that came with it to a 500gig sata drive and stuck in a spare 250gig pata drive had in the back of my wardrobe.

Once I permanently upgrade the ram and pupate vista to sp2, it will be quite a usable 2nd desktop, but if some has insight a cpu upgrade, it would become quite a powerful machine.

Oh and on a foot note I have grabbed of eBay a used nividia gt8400 I think, well its a 512mb pcie videocard, once that's done I might see if I can apply the areo hack seeing it has only vista home basic.

Thanks in advance for your feedback :generic:

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
wonderzebra
Level 1
11 7 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

is it me or is MS security essentials cpu intensive on vista?

0 Kudos
wonderzebra
Level 1
11 7 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I found a bios upgrade http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=au&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-66825-1, but I dont if it changes any cpu support, I applied it and now my bios is at  2.51, so the only difference I notice is the fans seem slightly noisier, but not in tolerable, but Im posting this from my toshiba laptop on the otherside of my desk which sit directly over the A6130A.

0 Kudos
wonderzebra
Level 1
11 7 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

actully the fan noise is  just above normal, but I am installing vista updates and  I'll check the bios settings to see there is a fan option, but I am install at the moment CPUID HWmonitor to see if theres anything untoward happening, but in honesty I will later swapp out the default fans for low noise models and some of the noise may be from my wooden desk amplyfying the vibrations from the case. the E2140 is hovering around 34c/93f which seens reasonable to me but will wait for feedback from others for their opinions.

0 Kudos
Level 8
Level 8
2,055 2,045 104 405
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

If you want to go beyond recomended upgrade... here is the supported list of processors:

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?series=27968

current CPU have LGA775 socket.. check TDP before upgrade...

most of the processors from Core 2 Duo family with same socket will work... 😉
||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
wonderzebra
Level 1
11 7 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I've since done a  inplace upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium  32bit and the performance is really good.

Using the windows upgrade advisor and a little googling, I was able to update the PC Doctor Hardware and the HP DVD Play to be windows 7 compatible. The rest of the default apps that the recovery install of Vista originally seem to be windows 7 compatible.

Now with the original cpu and onboard graphics with an upgrade to 4 gig ram, plus the 500gig hhd  sata 3.0 upgrade my windows bench marks are:

Base Score: 3.0

Processor: 4.4

Memory: 4.8

Graphics: 3.0

Gaming Graphics 3.2

HDD:  5.9

will update specs once the discrete graphics is fitted and ofcourse in the future when I can get a cpu upgrade.

I will aim for a E4800, if I can raise the case, I guess I better start having an eBay sale lol.

0 Kudos
Level 8
Level 8
2,055 2,045 104 405
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

With onboard graphics card you are getting almost sufficient ratings...

after upgrading the CPU and AGP, it will jump on a higher point.
||

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
wonderzebra
Level 1
11 7 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Pankay thankyou for your feed back., I'm looking forward to the higher point jump when I finish upgrading :generic:

Now I have another question?

If I install a supported Intel® Pentium® D Processor 960 (4M Cache, 3.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) thats supported, will the virtulisation option show up in the bios settings, naturally the options not there now because the default cpu has no virtulisation support. I'm going to install virtual PC 2007 on the Windows 7 home premium tonight, but if I can  install a virtulisation supporting cput I would considor installing Windows 7 Bussiness edition and xp mode (Yes I know I can run it without virtulisation, but it kinda sucks), all aside this is not crucial as I have my home built 4 core pc at my desk which offers what I need virtulisation wise, but I'm like a PC version of Tim the Tool Man, "grunt grunt It needs more power", when upgrading PC's.

With thanks Wonderzebra

PS,

In hignsight since upgrading the default Vista to Win 7, I do feel sorry for pc makers releasing economical home PC's of this vintage, it must of sucked being forced to deliver sluggist Vista machines, mindyou ram was so dear back then for the average user.

0 Kudos
Level 8
Level 8
2,055 2,045 104 405
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

i can see that you are going to upgrade a high end processor... so why dont you go with the motherboard upgrade as well.

it will provide you more compatibility and Virtualization might not support with your current MoBo.

also you should need to consider "Graphics: 3.0" rating...

most of the components works togather to make this rating... if this increases then gaming graphics and processor rating will also go up after Upgrading CPU and GPU... but.............

the HDD will stuck to 5.9... so the base score would be 5.9

||

0 Kudos
alvian
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I can confirm by experiments that you can upgrade to any of the E4x00 CPUs on an ECS 945GCT-HM Livermore-GL6 Rev 1.0-B mainboard (which the Pavilion a6130a uses), provided the BIOS has been updated.

BIOS 5.12 (SP26919) - Unsupported CPU error, no good, need to update

BIOS 5.15 - Good

BIOS 5.25 (SP40914) - Good

BIOS 5.25 is, I believe, the last available BIOS update for this mainboard. The BIOS update program requires Windows Vista 32-bit to work. It does not work on Windows XP. I did not test the update program on Windows 7, 8, 10, or Vista 64-bit.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation