Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 5 (2,484 Views)

DX2250 will not boot with GV-R5670C-1GI video card installed

My DX2250 has been running properly with a GeForce 8400GS graphics card added, but I needed more graphics power.  First I installed a Zotac 400W power supply, which runs the system OK with the 8400GS card.  After replacing the 8400GS card with a Gigabyte GV-R5670C-1GI card, the system will not boot.  The monitor remains dark, the CPU fan stays on maximum speed and the HD light stays on constantly.

0 Kudos
Top Student
Message 2 of 5 (2,469 Views)

Re: DX2250 will not boot with GV-R5670C-1GI video card installed

I have RMAd the card, returning it to the seller (Newegg) as DOA.  When a replacement arrives I will report back here with the results.

Highlighted
Top Student
Message 3 of 5 (2,435 Views)

Replacement Gigabyte graphics card does not work either.  Could there be a compatibility problem?  Graphics card is PCI Express 2.0; computer is PCI Express x16.  Maybe the card isn't backward-compatible?

(BTW I updated the BIOS in the dx2250 and that made no difference)

Top Student
Message 4 of 5 (2,419 Views)

Bought a PNY GeForce 9800GT card locally, which works fine.  Meanwhile, Gigabyte insists the problem is with the computer and advises a BIOS update which was already done and didn't help.

Newegg has agreed to a refund for the Gigabyte graphics card.  So I will be sending that card back, staying away from Gigabyte in the future, and I will be buying hardware locally instead of online.

Top Student
Message 5 of 5 (2,404 Views)

Additional info from Gigabyte:  the problem affects ATI 5xxx cards from all vendors when used in AMD motherboards, and is correctable with a BIOS update.  This problem is all over the AMD/ATI forums.  It doesn't matter to me at this point, but it looks like HP needs to come up  with a BIOS update...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation