cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Delete Preinstalled Software

HP Recommended

HP computers come with preinstalled software that I will probably never use and is promotional only.  Can the following be removed without negating Windows 7?

1. HP Media Smart Touch - Smart Netflix

2. Movie Theme Pad for HP, Media Smart Video

3. DVD Menu Pack for HP Media Smart Video

4. HP Media Smart DVD, Music, Photo, Smart Menu, Video, Smart Video, Touch Smart Netflex

5. HP Setup

6. Photo Now

7. Picture Mover

8. Power Director

9. Press Reader

10. Shockwave

11. Ask Toolbar

12. ATT-RC Self Support Tool

Seems a number of these preinstalled programs are for still and movie video.  I edit photos using Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and do not intend to use my computer as a television. I would appreciate learning your  experience for deleting the noted items.  To ease answering, just reference the number proceeding the software name.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,901 16,786
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can uninstall everything except.

Item 10 - Shockwave is from Adobe and used to render video etc in some webpages.

The only other software you may want to consider keeping is HP MediaSmart DVD - this really depends on whether your PC has a Blu ray drive, if it does you will need this software in order to play Blu ray.  If you don't have a Blu ray drive, you can happily delete this.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Highlighted
Level 3
36 19 1 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello DavidPK. I realize this is way past the answer you provided, but in your post, you said preinstalled software can be removed but don't say how.

I just purchased a new HP and there are a couple of programs I don't want. However, they are not listed in the Control Panel nor are they in Revo Uninstaller.

Can you provide me with some specifics, please.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
417 409 20 60
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello there khone!: all you have to do is  go to your program & features icon double click on that icon then you'll see a listing of all of the programs loaded on the computer

highlight & click on whatever program you wish to uninstall then on the far left side of that page look for "uninstall"

select it then follow what you see on your screen afterwards it should be gone

do this for all the other programs on that list if you wish to go beyond that just repeat until your satisfied with the purges.

hopefully you have a Win 7 PC

good luck

hope this helps & enlightens you

spacechild

Highlighted
Level 3
36 19 1 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thank you spacechild. Unfortunately, with Win 7 there is no program & features icon anywhere. Or, maybe I'm missing something, but I've been using Win 7 since day 1 and I'm not aware of that icon. If there is such a thing, please point me in the right direction.
The programs I'm referring to are desktop icons that are listed as apps in their file locations.
Thank you
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 525
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello khone,

This microsoft article goes over how to uninstall a program in Windows 7.

Uninstall or change a program

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation