Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
boristheblade Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop shutsdown suddenly, tries to reboot, fans spin, for a second and it tries again and again

HP ENVY 700-203ed
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys, I'm new a the HP forums so dont be to hard on me.

I'm having problems with my Desktop PC Envy 700-203ed. 

About a week ago I came home and I tried to turn my pc on, somehow it wasnt able to boot. (no bios nothing whatsoever) The fans did spin and the power led turned on but only for like a second and then it shut off and it tried to boot again. Again with the same results, fans spin for a second, power led turns on and boom shutdown and boot again, also no error beeps or anything like that..

I tried a different power outlet because their might be some problems with some of them (which is a different problem on its own). Somehow after I moved to the different source it was able to boot this time.. So I figured maybe it is a issue with this specific outlet or whatever. A couple days later when I was playing a game with a friend, and suddenly my pc switched off, it automatically tried to reboot after the sudden shutdown, but the same issue occured.. fans spin for a second and the power light came on and.. boom.. shuts off and tries again and again and again...

So now my system was unable to boot.

I've read on another post on this forum that i should try to boot without hdd and ram and other subhardware. 

This time I got a 5 beeps when it tried to boot.. I believe this means the bios was recoverd (rolled back the bios driver or something and please do correct me when im wrong about this)

Next I reattached all the hardware again and amazingly it booted just fine.. 

So I'm kinda confused right now.. 

Since the system is unable to boot.. like sometimes.. ( <-- and I hate it when that word needs to be used). Isnt there a golden rule that can be applied or something? Like change PSU and/or Motherboard?

Thanks so much for the time and energy some of you put it to these kind of issues.

Much appreciated,

Boris

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
PhD Student
PhD Student
750 739 67 130
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Desktop shutsdown suddenly, tries to reboot, fans spin, for a second and it tries again and again

Greetings,

Could not find product specs on your PC at the HP Support site.

However, I did find some specs elsewhere.

Did your PC ship with Win 8.1 64 bit OS? It appears to have been introduced by HP sometime in 2013 or early 2014. How much time elapsed between upgrading to Win 10 versus the onset of your problem?

The intermittent problem you are experiencing could have any number of causes.

Is the PC continuing to boot successfully or booting when it wants to since reattaching the hardware you disconnected? I am unable to determine this from your problem description.

Exactly what hardware did you disconnect?

You have to systematically troubleshoot each component and eliminate it as the cause.

The first item to tackle is to run a check disk. Then run UEFI boot time hardware diagnostics.

Then reinstall or update the graphics drivers.

I can provide a general flow to use to troubleshoot the other components.

Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
750 739 67 130
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

I forgot to add this thought.

If you have an extended HP warranty then use it.

But HP tech will not troubleshoot your PC with Win 10 installed. 

Do you have a spare HDD? Install the HP Factory OS (Win 8.1) there. Then check for stability.

You wont blow away the current install by doing this.

This takes time. Troubleshooting each component on Win 10 is going to take time.

There is no magic solution to this type of problem.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jay,

Thank so much for your quick and very valuable reply.

Its kinda hard for me to explain this issue, let alone in english so sorry if I my description is unclear or anything.

Firstoff it very strange that the 700-203ed isnt listed at HP sites anymore. This wasnt the case before..

Yes my PC shipped with Windows 8.1 64bit. I upgraded my system to windows 10 about 6 months to a year ago. 

When I disconnected the hardware (SSD, HDD, RAM, Optic drives). It turned on and stayed on successfully the first time so that seemt to work great, I did hear 5 short beeps.

Im not sure the beeps were because of the missing RAM or that the bios was recovered (I'm not sure what this means also)

I updated my videocard driver and will run the check disk. I will reply the result of this test tonight (I live in Europe and the time is 07:30 PM)

Could you explain to me which of the tools to use in UEFI?

Also I would really like to know your flow on troubleshooting the other hardware

Many many thanks for your help!

PS: I do have some spare HDD's so I can definitly install windows 8 on an HDD. 

0 Kudos
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jay,

I just ran the Check Disk function on both my SSD and HDD and there were no errors.

For now, this is good news right? Can I completly dismiss the possibility the issue was caused by my SSD  or HDD?

Thank you!

PhD Student
PhD Student
750 739 67 130
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Boris,

Please see this HP Support document detailing BIOS error codes. Five beeps could be a critical system component error. That may happened with no RAM installed.

A successful Check Disk result is good. This means you have no operating system corruption. Check Disk does not directly test for hardware problems but if it cannot move data to correct file corruption because of many bad HDD sectors it can infer physical damage to the HDD.

You have also updated the graphics card drivers.

Please see this HP Support document on testing Hardware for problems. Select "Testing using PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)".

This will guide you on testing Memory, HDD,  graphics card, and other components for physical errors.

See what happens. Then run the system to test for stability before proceeding. Reboot the system a few times to see if the error persists. Shut down, then reboot.  Stress your PC to see if it breaks again.

Jay

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation