Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Can anyone help with the P5 front panel header pin outs on the Z400 motherboard or on the 536304-001 HP Power On/Off Switch and LED Cable Assembly for the Z400?   I am trying to fit a Z400 motherboard in an XW8000 case. I know 536304-001 will not fit in the XW8000 case but the XW8000 equivalent part appears to have mostly the same connections; dual colour led, hard drive led, power button.   I can see from an illustration that 536304-001 uses 4 connections on the keyed side of the header and 2 on the other. Cable colours are red, green, black and 3 white. There are also further connections for the case temperature thermistor which I would not intend to use (unless explicitly required for Z400 motherboard).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is a pinout of the Z400 motherboard front panel header P5: 

Z400_front_panel_conn_P5.png

Find the "missing" key pin 14 to orient this diagram correctly. 

Pins 2 and 4 go to the Power LED.  This LED is bi-directional, with green in one direction (normal) and red (diagnostic failure) in the other.  If back-to-back LEDs are installed across pins 2 and 4, one will light.  If the green one does not light in normal operation, switch the pins to the diode pair.

Pins 15, 17,  and 18 are Chassis ID pins.  It is OK to leave these pins unconnected.

Pins 6 and 8 are the power button pins.  Connect a normally-open push-button switch across pins 6 and 8.  Do not tie any voltage or pullups to this switch.

RESET# might not work, but it is a prototye signal.  A normally-open push-button switch between pin 7 and 6 (GND) might make it work.  It is OK to leave these pins unconnected.

Pins 11 and 12 are to the thermal diode in the Z400 front panel cable assembly.  The system will boot without the thermal diode, but the fans may run at full speed all the time, or could oscillate in speed (repeatedly go from slow to high speed and back).  This will make the system very noisy. 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is a pinout of the Z400 motherboard front panel header P5: 

Z400_front_panel_conn_P5.png

Find the "missing" key pin 14 to orient this diagram correctly. 

Pins 2 and 4 go to the Power LED.  This LED is bi-directional, with green in one direction (normal) and red (diagnostic failure) in the other.  If back-to-back LEDs are installed across pins 2 and 4, one will light.  If the green one does not light in normal operation, switch the pins to the diode pair.

Pins 15, 17,  and 18 are Chassis ID pins.  It is OK to leave these pins unconnected.

Pins 6 and 8 are the power button pins.  Connect a normally-open push-button switch across pins 6 and 8.  Do not tie any voltage or pullups to this switch.

RESET# might not work, but it is a prototye signal.  A normally-open push-button switch between pin 7 and 6 (GND) might make it work.  It is OK to leave these pins unconnected.

Pins 11 and 12 are to the thermal diode in the Z400 front panel cable assembly.  The system will boot without the thermal diode, but the fans may run at full speed all the time, or could oscillate in speed (repeatedly go from slow to high speed and back).  This will make the system very noisy. 

I am an HP Employee.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Thanks Dan,

I have now got the motherboard to boot, but have the following errors showing:

918 front USB not connected (it isn't!)

913 front 1394 not connected

511 CPU fan not detected

512 rear chassis fan not detected

513 front chassis fan not detected

517 low power CPU heatsink detected for high power CPU

918 - Does it matter what USB connector I use, and is there a 'sense' lead? My USB has only 9 pins on a 10 pin header.

913 - The XW8000 Firewire has an internal 1394 plug, is there an adaptor I can use to fit this to the 1394 header?

511- CPU fan is an Intel Core 2 extreme with 4 pin connector presently connected to  IOH_FAN (only one it fits; will be removed shortly to 5 pin CPU header with corrected wiring; should also resolve 517)

512, 513 - Do I need both front and rear fans connected? (2 x 120mm 4 pin fans on order!)

Thanks in advance for your able assistance!

HP Recommended

sja681, here are some hints.  These are NOT HP recommended modifications or changes, but since you are already putting the Z400 board into a chassis that is not designed for it, here are some ideas that will prevent you from trying something that might accidently damage your motherboard. 

918:  There is a cable detect ('sense') lead on pin 10 the front USB 2x5 pin header P24.  Grounding this pin by putting a 0.100 inch jumper from pins 8 to 10 will fool the system into thinking the cable is installed. 

913:  I do not know if there any adapters from the xw8000 to the Z400.  The Z400 1394 header might be an industry standard, but I am not sure.  IF the xw8000 has a 6 pin 1394 header, the pinout is in the diagram below, but I am not really sure if this is correct.  The Z400 has a cable detect on pin 11 on the front 1394 2x7 pin header J13.  Grounding this pin by putting a 0.100 inch jumper from pins  11 to 12 will fool the system into thinking the cable is installed.  

511:  The 5 pin CPU wiring should fix this.

512, 513:  It is a good idea in general to put the fans in the system.  Make sure they are 4 pin fans, with pin 1 = GND, pin 2 = =12V, pin 3 = Tach, pin 4 = PWM control. 

Z400_front_USB_1394_cable_det_2.png

I am an HP Employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.