Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 14 (3,611 Views)

Diagnostics Tool Test - says "No Bootable Drives Detected"

I have an HP Pavilion I bought at Sam's Club last year, no cds.  It crashed.  I tried the Recovery Program and it did nothing... would run for 8 hours.  I tried loading XP that I had, and it wouldn't load.  I ordered the Recovery Disk from HP and received those and tried to install.  When it gets to the window about "reformatting a drive" I select yes, and it comes up with an Error, with a lot of numbers, mostly zeros.  When I ran the Diagnostics Tool Test, it said the AMD Passed and the Memory Passed.  Then it came to the next section to diagnose, and came up with a code similar to "BIOS3-D, No Bootable Drives Detected."  Is that referring to my Hard Drive?  If so, what do I do?  Are they pretty easy to replace?

If not, what could it be?  Since it crashed 2 weeks ago, I haven't been able to get anything to load....

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 14 (3,609 Views)

Re: Diagnostics Tool Test - says "No Bootable Drives Detected"

Sounds like the hdd has died,not uncommon. Yes,they are very easy to replace, usually a couple of screws to remove,unplug 2 cables and slide the new hdd in. Boot with Recovery and you're off.

You will need a 3.5" desktop hdd probably SATA since the machine is fairly new. SATA is probably the only choice in local stores anyway, since the older IDE isn't used much anymore.SATA hdd's have a slim cable to the hdd, unlike the wide grey cable on older IDE hdds. If in doubt remove the hdd and take it with you to the store.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
Honor Student
Message 3 of 14 (3,602 Views)

Thanks.  I guess the hdd you're referring to is the Hard Drive?  Great idea on taking it out and taking it with me.  About how much do they cost?

Provost
Message 4 of 14 (3,600 Views)

Sorry, yes hdd stands for hard drive. You should be able to get one for around $80. For instance, here at Tigerdirect they have a 500 gb hdd for $50.00

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2795126&CatId=2459

Honor Student
Message 5 of 14 (3,585 Views)

That's not too bad in price.

The Error Code I get when I'm in Recovery Manger and it tries to reformat the Hard Drive, is Error 0x40010020000100A.  "If this continues contact HP." 

Tutor
Message 6 of 14 (2,457 Views)

I am getting a B10HD-3 "no bootable drives detected" too.

26 Months .... is NOT a long time for a hard drive to last ..

My system runs 24 / 7 and 4 weeks ago I woke up and found it off.

Sometimes on power up the HD light will flash like it does on start up or seeking / writing.

On the first start up after I Iet it sit overnight ... I was able to get the Diagnostic screen and the HD PASSED -- YA RIGHT and then boot path failed with the error above.

I rebooted it and the system ' recommended ' to do a repair ..  I did it an all was well until 2 days ago when while I was working the power just DIED ..

I think I will try the 2nd HD  power cable  and see what happens. Hopeing it is a power issue.

This totally sucks ... considering the age of this $1100.00 boat anchor sitting on my desk now.

Thankfully I have laptops and other desktops to use.

What do I need to buy? New HD I assume but what about my Win 7?

Provost
Message 7 of 14 (2,455 Views)

@CPlumley

If you burned your Recovery Disks just boot from them after installing new hdd to reinstall.If you didn't burn your set ,you can order from HP for around $20>> Contact HP

Tutor
Message 8 of 14 (2,450 Views)

[ Edited ]

THANK YOU ..

YES I burn them for every system i ordered ..

THANK YOU --

DUH HERE .... im just so upset with this being dead ..

I can not think straight ..... i am NOT HARDWARE MAN ... Smiley Happy

I just called HP and they only sell 2 WD hard drives now ... so I guess I have to look around.

I still wonder if i will be able to read the damaged drive as a slave?  I have he data I just wonder.???

Provost
Message 9 of 14 (2,445 Views)

You can use any retail SATA hdd,WD,Seagate,etc. Just be sure to get at least as large a capacity as the original hdd.Should be much less $ than ordering from HP.

You may still be able to get some of your files off the old hdd. I did this recently for a laptop belonging to a friends little sister. It wouldn't boot and she had loads of music. It was still just functional enough to read it when plugged into a usb adapter and attached to my desktop.I did have to work fast and get all of the files in one go cause those last read/copies of the hdd finished it off.

Tutor
Message 10 of 14 (2,440 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank You  Cheryl ...

what is "last read / copies "?

I was thinking of getting a 1T HD and the making the bad one a slave to see what I can get off of it ..

Burned out today ... but found a nice YouTube of the HD replacement ..

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01761263

Maybe early next week I'll hit Staples and get one

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation