cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Disk Boot Failure after renewing PSU

HP Recommended
compaq presario 2029UK
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

We had a power cut while my PC was switched on and after power was restored the PC would not turn on at all. I tracked down a PSU and replaced the old one with it. 

The PC now switches on OK, but after the compaq logo I just get the following message at the top of the screen:

Disk Boot Failure. Insert System disk and press enter.

I do not have any discs. The computer is quite old and when i bought it there were no discs with it.

Pressing escape or F1 during start up do nothing.

Is there anything I can do, or have I lost the computer forever?

Regards

Tog

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 7
975 963 31 106
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You dont give too many details, so I am going to assume Windows 10.

Download and extract to a DVD or USB...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

you download a tool, then that creates a W 10 bootable DVD or USB.

This can repair a broken installation,

Repair Screen W10.png

Bottom left REPAIR

Recovery Reinstall.png

Advanced Troubleshooting may be what you need, but try the Automatic first.  Then come back and ask again if needed.

This may help....

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,187 10,183 958 2,788
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Normally I would say that symptom indicates the hard drive has either failed or the bootloader is corrupt.  Considering the power outage and the PSU replacement, I would first verify the PSU replacement to be OK.  On a working computer, make a bootable disk or USB to check that the PC actually works OK.  If you want to kill two birds with one stone, make a Windows 10 install media

If you can boot to that, then

• On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.

• Select Repair your computer.

This information came from HERE.

Guess @doughjohn and I werereplying at the same time

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanksfor the replies.

I have now downloaded the windows 10 media file and burned a DVD.

When I turn the PC on it does boot from the DVD.

I chose the repair option and it displays the message:

Reset this PC

The drive where windows is installed is locked. unlock the drive and try again.

How can I do this?

Regards

Tog

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It seems thjat HP load the operating system onto a part of the hard drive that cannot be accessed.

The PC is now working, but I had to instll windows 10 completely, and onto the  part of the hard drive that is accessible, thereby reducing the amount of space I have to work with.

It also means that i have now lost all of the files I had on that part of the hard drive.

At least I have the machine back, and i am now waiting for an external hard drive to arrive so that I have more space.

Thank you for all of your help.

Best regards

Tog

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
975 963 31 106
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

The lock on the windows partition is some tmes down to the Fast Start Option, and this should be avoided.

There are things like EASEUS hard disk manager and Paragon

(http://download.cnet.com/Paragon-Backup-Recovery-Free-64-bit/3000-2242_4-10972187.html)

that can help.

If in doubt please ask.

Parts of My Disk.png

You can Hide/Unhide partitions.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation