cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
32 20 2 10
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Dolby Digital Live on Pavilion 500-205eo?

HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion 500-205eo, a model sold in Scandinavia, product code F9P08EA#UUW.

This is based on the MSI MS-7778/JasmineR motherboard with the IDT 92HD73E audio codec. It also has an nVidia GeForce GTX 645 card installed from the factory. It runs Windows 8.1.

My question is if it is possible to enable Dolby Digital Live over S/PDIF in Windows Games that support it. So far, I haven't been able to get it working. The S/PDIF does pass Dolby Digital and DTS when tested from the audio setup, but then it presumably only plays back prerecorded streams.

To my understanding, Microsoft has licensed Dolby Digital Live for Windows 8, so it should be available so long as the hardware and drivers allow it. But I don't know where the encoding is done (aboard the audio codec or CPU) and if it the IDT audio codec built into my Pavilion simply doesn't handle encoding of AC-3 (its data sheet doesn't mention any encoding abilities).

It might be an issue with the drivers for the IDT codec not supporting it/not being configured by HP to support AC-3 encoding. The PC was marketed as having only DTS Sound+ and 7.1 audio over its analog outputs, so it's entirely possible.

Would I need to get a third party sound card with explicit support for Dolby Digital Live to get it working?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
5,889 6,265 450 1,229
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Zacabeb,

I understand you are wondering if you can use the Dolby Digital Live on your HP Pavilion 500-205eo Desktop PC. According to the HP Pavilion 500-205eo Desktop PC Product Specifications your audio is the Integrated IDT 92HD73E Audio. I am providing you with the 92HD73E Datasheet, which on page 2 lists Dolby Digital Live™ (DDL) as supported. This being said to enable the Dolby Digital Live in Windows 8.1 I would advise you to ensure you that have downloaded and installed the IDT High Definition Audio Driver.

Please re-post if you require additional support. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
32 20 2 10
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From what I've gathered so far, it seems that while the codec is Dolby Digital Live compliant, the ability to handle it comes down to which software is chosen by the vendor.

So, given that HP chose to license DTS Sound+, it seems that this PC doesn't natively support Dolby Digital Live due to licensing.

Why Microsoft advertises Dolby Digital for their Xbox Games on Windows, I don't know. I thought it meant they had licensed Dolby Digital Live for use in each particular game, in which case the encoding would be done in software, but there is no information to be found on it.

Maybe it comes down to a misprint on their behalf when it comes to the game ilomilo plus, since they only indicate Dolby Digital support for it in the games app, and this particular game might not actually support it.

So, there might not be a problem. The codec might simply not be receiving a Dolby Digital stream because the game doesn't produce one. It doesn't matter that much to me though at this time.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation