cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
_frozen Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Downgraded to Windows 7, need help with specific drivers

Hello all!

I recently purchased a HP P7-1439 PC with Windows 8 pre-installed. Gave the OS a week or two to try and acclimatize myself and found I couldnt mesh with the new system, so I downgraded to Windows 7.

My question right now: I am aware that drivers are needed for the motherboard/USB controllers, and the motherboard itself was designed for Windows 8.

I need the following drivers according to Device Manager (as marked with a yellow exclaimation mark):

BCM20702A0 (No clue what this is)

Network Controller (I think I installed a Ethernet driver, seems that was not what it was)

SM Bus Controller

Universal Serial Bus Controller (x2)

I think by finding the motherboard drivers would solve most of those issues. However, searching MSI for their drivers that matches the motherboard (Jasmine, MSI MS-7778) had no result. Can someone point me to the right or comparable drivers for this one?

Information:

Product Number: H3L17AA#ABA

Drivers Successfully Obtained:
AMD Radeon HD 7660D

Qualcomm Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Provost
Provost
9487 9430 1669 4689
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

AMD Chipset Drivers includes;

AMD Chipset Drivers

AMD AHCI Driver

AMD USB 3.0 Driver

This will resolve your SM Bus Controller and Universal Serial Bus Controller (x2) issues. The remaining two items... Network Controller and BCM20702A0 are your Broadcom Wireless 802.11 / BT card.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
_frozen Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ready to accept this as an soultion-- your chipset download did the first half of the trick.

As for the broadcom wireless, I could only find Broadcom's website, and it says to contact HP. Would any replacement exist right now for BCM20702 on the HP site?

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
9487 9430 1669 4689
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You might try this Original Broadcom Wireless Network Controller Driver and this Original HP Bluetooth Driver. There are over 200 HP products that use the same Broadcom 802.11 / BT card as yours.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
_frozen Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Looked at other replies to this problem concerning Broadcom, I noticed that my hardware ID is different from the rest. A bit concerning, but...

USB\VID_0A5C&PID_21F1%REV_0112

Ive noticed the others had a PID of 21E1...
0 Kudos
_frozen Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I will list the items needed to convert a win8 preinstalled p7-1439 (Product Number H3L17AA) to be fully Win7 compliant in terms of drivers:

-Go to Atheros Customer Portal and select either AR813x_AR815x_v2.0.14.15_WHQL or AR816x_v2.0.14.15_WHQL under the AR813x_AR815x or AR816x headings. They are in .RAR format, so you need to extract the driver using WinRAR or the like. (LasVegasWireMan's reply)  I personally used the AR813x version.

-Go to AMD for their most recent Catalyst drivers. Your Radeon HD 7660D will be covered with the recent updates.

- Go to  Original Broadcom Wireless Network Controller Driver and this Original HP Bluetooth Driver. There are over 200 HP products that use the same Broadcom 802.11 / BT card. (LasVegasWireMan's reply in this thread).

- Go to AMD Chipset Drivers (this page) to get the remaining unknown devices (by now, SM Bus Controller and the two USB Controllers).

By this point, your computer will be as updated to its drivers as possible. If I am missing something, let me know.

I've done this for future customers of the same computer I've purchased. Hope this helps you!

0 Kudos
clarkm Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

big thank you to everyone on this thread! 

I bought a HP Pavilion P7-1451C Desktop from woot.com and downgraded it successfully using the drivers referenced in this thread. HP's official page for this computer says it can't be done, but with the help of this thread everything is now working perfectly. Thanks a lot.

bville1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I also had the identical problem and your solutions worked 100%! You are awesome! Thank you so much!!

0 Kudos
GenesisFlux Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Made a new thread because it's a different problem.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation