Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 300-1200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been extremely negligent not soliciting your assistance sooner.  As you will see below, I have conflicting answers and no resolution.  

Brief Background

I have been the routes of requesting assistance from HP and Microsoft Tech Support-----

Sporatic operating and small yet aggravating issues with Win 10 for the past few months.  Large issues greatly affecting performance has existed since 04/12/17.

Windows 10 - 64 bit       HP TouchSmart - Win 7 - 64 bit

Told I needed to upgrade driver, that Microsoft "pushed" 10 through on all computer devices without regard to drivers, computer manufacturers were responsible for and upgraded drivers for all computers to accomodate upgrade, ............

Microsoft, after researching and verifying drivers available, stated HP had the driver for my device, to contact them again for download which would resolve issues

HP stated they do not have the driver and my only option is to purchase a new PC or Laptop

Attempted to obtain support in parts, replacements, including drivers - result ziltch assistance other than a Merry Go Round of screens continually repeating and requesting same info

Although I would love to purchase a new Laptop or PC, unfortunately due to health issues/expenses, I do not have that option.  I NEED a PC/Laptop to be up to date, dependable and afford me the opportunity to complete major projects.

It is difficult for me to comprehend NO ONE having a driver  or alternative solution to resolve my current PC situation.

I am requesting your assistance, advice, other pertinent info and leave the aforementioned in your capable hands with sincere appreciation.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi MrsSharon

There are quite a few PC's made by HP within the 300-1200 series.

Please provide a specific model.

This PC appears to be a Windows 7 era product. HP is not providing Windows 10 drivers for some of the available models I checked. This may be true for all of the models.

This means if Microsoft cannot provide stable drivers you will not be able to get any Windows 10 drivers from HP either.

I am sorry to say it may be best to go back to the factory operating system, Windows 7.

Now, this creates a new set of problems. If you provide the specific model we may be able to see if you can order HP Recovery discs or possible Windows 10 driver availability. There are other options if the HP recovery discs are not available anymore.

Let's take one step at a time.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi MrsSharon

Forgot to extend the possible solutions:

1. You can order Windows 7 HP Recovery media from HP.

2. You can order Windows 7 recovery media from a third party.

3. You have to download and install Windows 7 clean, install drivers, and activate Windows 7.

4. Try reinstalling Windows 10 clean and hope for the best.

I would suggest you backup data ASAP to avoid a a catastrophic loss of data.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Product Name:  NY536AAR-ABA 300-1020,                   Serial #: (removed content) Product #:  NY536AAR#ABA

Potential return to Windows 7:   If no other choice but to do this,  won't I be losing updated apps,  will this affect photos, docs, etc I currently have on PC,  I will not have support for 7, will never be able to go beyond a 7???  I know I will think of a dozen more later that currently will not surface.  

The possibility of of a driver not being located and downloaded is naturally causing concern.  As a novice, this subject matter is definately over my head.  

FYI - I purchased this PC from a business associate who adamently told me it was current and up -to-date, had been to Computer Repair Business for thorough cleaning, scans, most apps uninstalled and replacements installed, etc.  I did not challenge this as the thought did not enter my mind of misleading info.  I've learned a very valuable lesson.

I apologize as it appears I've taken more than one step again.  Going forward, I will follow your instructions and provide only the answers you request.

Sharon

HP Recommended

Hi MrsSharon

Thanks for providing the product number.

Please remove the serial number from your response.

This PC has no  HP Windows 10 driver support. Windows 7 is the last operating system supported by HP for your PC. You have no choice if your PC is not running correctly on Windows 10.  Windows 7 is the last operating system certified to work correctly on this PC.

HP Recovery discs are also not a purchase option.

You can purchase recovery discs from Restoredisks.com. I cannot guarantee if the media will work. This option is the only path back to Windows 7 unless you want to download Windows 7 here. This method is complex. It can be done but many steps are required to achieve the goal.

You must then install drivers and software from the first link above if you get Windows 7 going. You have to install Windows 7 updates which may take a long time. There has been a problem installing Windows updates.

You will lose some Windows 10 stuff.

The important issue is to backup all important data before doing a recovery to Windows 7.

Look, you can try to fix Windows 10. 

I will not recommend anything that will damage your PC. I can only tell you Windows 7 will work correctly using the Windows 7 HP image. Windows 10 is, obviously causing problems.

The decision and method to go back to Windows 7 is yours.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Grzy:

Your assistance and knowledge of my issue is both appreciated and respected.  It seems I have much to do prior to any change backwards.  It is unfortunate this occurred and there is much to be saved.

Your prompt responses have been extremely beneficial.  There are no longer multiple options to choose one.

The chances of me providing you w/tech support are nil to none.  However, if there is anything for which I am qualified, I offer my assistance to you.

Thanks,

Sharon

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.