cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
41 39 1 4
Message 141 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JTashiro, I tried following your instructions to get Weatherbug working on my wife's HP notebook running on Vista 64.  I downloaded and installed the 64-bit Windows version of Python 2.7.6, although they said there is a newer version 2.7.8.

Here is the problem I'm running into:

3.  Download and install more python tools - the python package installation tool "pip" 

When I try running "get_pip.py" from a command prompt it gives me the following error: 

'get_pip.py' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Am I missing something in trying to run this file?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
69 68 1 7
Message 142 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

RoadiJeff,

After the python 2.7 is installed, it associates  .py files with python, so the Windows command shell attempts to run python executable when it encounters .py in the filename.

First can you confirm that the python command interpreter is found on the PATH?  Open a command window and type:  python  

you should get a python command shell.  That's good, ok to exit from the python shell.

The next problem to look for is that you have saved the get_pip.py file in the same directory that you are typing:  get_pip.py.   If that is in a different directory, then 'cd' into the directory where the get_pip.py file is stored, and try again to run get_pip.py .

Let me know how it goes. .. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 143 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does it matter what firmware version you use?  I'm stuck with v.1.6.0.0  Software update gets error Unable to confirm software version.  Only the radio app works now on my DS- can't log in to Pandora, snapfish, etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
69 68 1 7
Message 144 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My dreamscreen is v 1.2.5.0 (9/16/2009), and the solution works at that version.   I am guessing here, that the solution works at any firmware level as long as the Weather application API behavior is not impacted.   Again, this is a guess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 145 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Don't you get firmware updates either?  I've read that versions earlier than 1.6.0.0 are vurnerable to security risk. Read:  http://cxsecurity.com/issue/WLB-2010020175. I hope that this update doesn't mess up the work around for me.  I also noticed on the original software disc that there is a folder called extra and has a file called Open Source. Don't know if that would help to hack the DS.  Do you have it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
69 68 1 7
Message 146 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I don't recall ever performing a software update. I may have the original disc somewhere at home. I am intrigued now that you mention open source.

hP support never mentioned that to me whe asking about fixes.

Can you post a directory list of 'extras' and open source.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 147 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In folder Extras there is a folder called Open Source and a txt file Open Source Software Notice 144kb 8/5/2009 6:31pm.  When you open the text file it has all copyright notices for the different source codes they used.  When you open the Open Source folder you get an Open Source.exe file 187,816kb 8/5/2009 4:12am.  When you open it it is a WinRAR self-extracting archive. I did not try to install it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 148 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could you post what you did to get the wather working?

@JTashiro wrote:

I had same problem starting on Apr 2, and followed up immediately with WeatherBug.  To their credit, I received an email quickly from WeatherBug support team - here is the summary...

>>The prior API that is being referenced is no longer valid. The new API is located at http://api-portal.earthnetworks.com. >>The RSS feed was discontinued some time ago.

>>Regards,

>>WeatherBug Customer Care

I was not satisfied waiting for HP to fix this issue, and my wife needed her forecasts, so I was determined to create a workaround.  In short, it IS possible with some technical skill, to create your own weather data provider and have the Dreamscreen display your own weather data.

I have done just that, and am now getting my weather data to my Dreamscreen from Weather Underground.  It worked so well, I switched from local weather to actually using my own weather station data which is fed to Weather Underground.  This is NOT required for the workaround.   This turned out to be an interesting and beneficial project - my weather data is more precise now than before.

If anyone is interested in the details of How To Workaround, pls reply and I'll write up something on this forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
69 68 1 7
Message 149 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reposting the link to my personal site which has instructions for Windows and Linux platform.

https://www.fiospace.com/wiki/projects/hpdreamscreenhacks/HP_Dreamscreen_Hacks.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
15 14 0 2
Message 150 of 161
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This workaround has been working flawlessly for 5 months, and mine was working this morning, but sometime during the day it stopped working.  Very odd.

I rebooted the PC, but the errors persist.  Python is running, Acryllic is running. 

http://localhost/verify     shows a whole screen full of errors.

Nothing has changed on the windows laptop I use for this.

Anyone else having problems?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation