Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ltarras Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Elite 8300 won't boot with external drive connected

I have a brand new HP Compaq Elite 8300 running Windows 7

SN:  2UA242268L

I have attached a WD My Book External HD for back up purposes and, for some reason, the PC will not boot with the drive connected.  I have checked BIOS  to make sure the drive order seeks the HD before anything on a USB, but I shouldn't even have to do this.  I just can't figure out why I get a "no system disk" message at boot time when the drive is connected.  I have never had a problem with any other PC.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5027
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are several issues that could cause your problem. 

What is the specific model number for the WD My Book External?

1. BIOS bug in the Elite 8300  -- contact HP Support
  2. Improper BIOS settings in the Elite 8300
  3. Firmware issue with the WD My Book External  -- check with WD
  4. Improper formatting of the WD My Book External  -- see the suggestion below to ensure the proper format
  5. Auxillary power adapter not plugged in for the WD My Book External -- is one supplied?
  6. Try plugging the WD external into a USB 2.0 port during boot

Copy the data off the MY Book then open up the RUN window and enter the following:

Diskpart

List disk

Select Disk x  -- where x is the My Book

Clean ----> if clean does not work then you will need to go thru and delete off each partition

Now unplug the drive and plug in back in a do a complete format. Now with the drive empty try the boot process.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 16GB, 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
ltarras Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The model number of the WD My Book is WDBACW0030HBK  My Book Essential, 3TB.  It shipped brand new with the PC and has only been used for one back up.  Both devices are literally less than 30 days out of the box.  I have tried booting on other devices (laptop) with the WD drive connected with no trouble.  I find it hard to believe that the BIOS delivered on a brand new computer has a bug.  Should I make a warranty claim?  I have 3 identical 8300's so I might try to boot on another machine with the drive connected.  I am certain that the power supply is the correct one as all of the equipment is brand new. 

I guess I'm contacting HP Support.  I can't think of a reason why this would be happening.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
bjohnrini Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Having the same problem. Wondering if you were able to resolve this?

Thank You

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
4755 203 621
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your computer is an Enterprise model.  As these are the consumer forums, I would recommend that you post this in the HP Enterprise Support Forums for better coverage.

You can access the enterprise support forums at the following link.

Best of luck,
Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
0 Kudos
RNR1995 Tutor
Tutor
11 0 3
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is either a BIOS issue or the firmware on the external drive, upgrade them both. I have seen this before in Dells
The only reason I am writing this is for the, your in the wrong forum answer, that is always a non answer
You can also turn off the availability to boot from USB if you do not need it
We have plenty of HP's out there and do not experience this issue

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation