Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z200 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a HP Z200 and I want to enable Bitlocker (Windows 10) to encrypt the entire harddisk. But I think I need to enable TPM, is this true? Or can I also do this without TPM?

I thought the HP Z200 supports TPM 1.2. I'm running the Z200 workstation with a i5-650, 8GB DDR3 and Nvidia Quadro FX 580.

When googling, I find I need to enable TPM in the bios. But I can't find it. I installed BCU and retrieved the file with bios settings, but I also can't find the TPM option there (see the text file from step 1 on this site: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/25736.sccm-2012-r2-enabling-tpm-for-bitl...

I can't find the TPM functions in the text file I retreived from the bios)

The only thing I want to do is running Windows 10 and encrypt the entire HDD. (I have 2 HDD's in the system. HDD1 with an old Windows 7 installation connected to sata0 and HDD2 with the new Windows 10 installation connected to sata2. I only want to encrypt HDD2 connected to sata2)

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

There is no TPM on the Z200 line.

You just need to make a few changes in the Local Group Policy to make BitLocker work. 🙂

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Are you sure this isn't supported? Because I found several sites where they say it supports TPM 1.2

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-workstation-z200-core-i7-870-2-93-ghz-monitor-none-series/specs/

http://isvpatch.external.hp.com/HPPTF2/drvlib/docs/Z200.pdf

http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/content/specifications/z200_datasheet.pdf

I already did the method you mentioned but something went wrong. I configured botlocker without TPM and saved the key to a text file. It said I had to restart after configurating, so I did. But after it booted again I needed to enter my chosen password. I entered this (and got accepted, because if I typed a wrong key it would say it's wrong). But after entering my key it says it can't login. So I choose to enter the recovery key, but thet key wouldn't be accepted. Luckely it was a clean installation so no data was lost, only a lot of time. So I'm installing Windows 10 again with all its updates. But what should I do when I'm done with this? Try BitLocker again? Or some alternative like VeraCrypt.

HP Recommended

Hold off as I'm double checking to see if it was supported. The "BIOS Simulator" i was checking doesn't show it, but it may be out of date.

I am an HP Employee
-----
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

I'm going to have to pull a system from storage to have a look into this and verify, but this may help:

Embedded Security Device
This option becomes available if Embedded Device is set to Available.

Embedded Security Device (Hidden or Available) turns the Trusted Platform Mechanism (TPM) on and off. Device Hidden is the default. If this option is made available, the following options become available:

• Power-On Authentication Support—Enables and disables an authentication feature that requires you to enter a TPM user key password to start the computer. This feature uses the TPM to generate and store the authentication password.

• Reset Authentication Credential—Resets the authentication functionality and clears authentication credentials.

To enable the Embedded Security Device and to access any security features associated with the device, you must enter a setup password.
Setting a device to Available enables the operating system to access the device. Hidden makes the device unavailable. It is disabled by the BIOS and cannot be enabled by the operating system.

I think that once you enable ESD, you needs to save settings, reboot and bo back into the BIOS to see the new settings.

I am an HP Employee
-----
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.