Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy Phoenix
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Upon doing resent updates, PC locked up on a command prompt screen and would not respond to any function.  Tried troubleshooing topics with no response.  1-28-17.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Tamban

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-010 and post a few updates, the PC is stuck ona command prompt screen and would not respond to any function. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know if you remember what updates took place. Like, were those Windows updates or a BIOS update? Meanwhile. I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Please disconnected any USB devices from the PC. 
  • Remove any disk present in the PC.
  • Press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys on the keyboard and check if you can open the task manager.
  • If the PC does not respond then press and hold the power button until the PC powers off.
  • Disconnect all cables from the PC (includin ghte power cable). Again press and hodl the poer button for 15 seconds to dsicharge any static from the PC.
  • Reconnect all cables and power on the PC.

If the PC contineus to not boot into Windows then try to recovery the BIOS by following the steps from this link: http://hp.care/2eK4dXa

If none of the steps fix the issue then try running a test on the hard drive, memory and system board. Please refer to "Testing using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)."

Feel free to let  me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

HelloM Kazi. Thank you for your response. Unfortunatly due to no response of any kind, I unplugged the pc and plugged it back in, there isnt any response at all. PC will not turn on, although it is recieving power. Spent a few hours going though the troubleshooting tips with nothing that helped. Taking the unit into get it checked out to see what the problem is.

I did not see what the update was that was loading. Thank you again. 

HP Recommended

@Tamban

You are welcome. 🙂 I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

If the PC is not responding then I suggest you to release the static energy from the PC using the below steps:

• Press and hold the power button until the PC powers off.
  • Disconnect all cables (including power cable) from the PC.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to release the static. 
  • Reconnect the keyboard, mouse and the monitor.
  • Power on the PC.

Please do let me know if you were able to run the hardware diagnostics on the PC.

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI home page displays.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please hard drive, memory and system board.

Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello again. Took the PC to be checked out and it is not good. Complete system failure, which is very unfortunate for the computer just ran out of warrenty a few weeks ago. Is there anything HP can do? Thisis the second time a up date has compromised and failed my desktop as of October 16. PC was purchased December 27, 2015. Please help if you can. Thank you for time.

HP Recommended

@Tamban

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.