cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Samya Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error: no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed!(pavilion 20)

HP pavilion 20-b014

Error: no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed!(pavilion 20-b014 .  The machine came originally with windows 8. I upgraded to windows 8.1 and put new hard disk. So the hard disk is fine.  

However if I turn the machine off for a day and start the next day I get the "Error: no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed".   

I made the hard disk the first to boot the machine will boot and works.  Is there a way to upadate the BIOS on 

HP pavilion 20-b014? my bios version is  12/4/2012  v.8.09.

I do not understand why the intermittment above error showing on and off.

Please help. Thanks

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
7336 6300 358 762
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Samya,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your desktop computer is giving you an error message stating that the boot disk could not be detected, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To ensure that your hard drive you computer is trying to boot from is in working order, I recommend following the steps in this document on Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 😎. This should help determine if there is a fault with the hard drive. 

If the hard drive passes all of the required tests, I recommend returning the BIOS back to its default settings by following this document on Recovering the BIOS

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
ByteMeComm Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too have experienced this very same issue on the same model HP in this past week.

Having dilligently followed the suggestions offered, the computer displays the same error on boot and then hangs.

Have any further solutions come to light since the last post? I note there are more than just a few of 'us' tormented by this same dilemna searching for answers on The Net.

Cheers

0 Kudos
rickwhoo Tutor
Tutor
12 7 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nothing else about this issue??

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
750 739 67 130
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

There are BIOS updates for this model ,when installing on Windows 8 ,but don't appear to correct the error you describe. The updates enhance UEFI security. 

Three PC's exhibiting the same issue suggests a chipset problem on the motherboard.

Could be microcode (BIOS update could possibly fix the issue)or hardware related.

Did everybody run system UEFI diagnostics?

Don't know what else to say, but you may have to talk to HP. This system is probably out of warranty so it will cost money to fix.

Jay

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation