cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

External HD shows full

HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion Elite HPE operating windows 7 and a couple of external HDs. One shows 30GB left out of 1TB but the files visible only add up to about 530TB. All files are apparently shown so why the discrepancy and is it possible to view and clear the extra trash without reformatting the entire drive?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,445 41,692 4,561 12,045
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

That should enable you to see those invisible files.

Best regards,

erico

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Erico

Thanks for the input. I had already done that and the result is still that the visible files total around 500GB but there are only  31GB left out of one TB. To coin the phrase from the old TV show "Lost in Space", "...that does not comput...".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,445 41,692 4,561 12,045
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Which specific drive has the issue? Is it a external drive? Is it in a NAS?

Best regards,

erico

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Erico

As stated, it's an external one TB Western Digital HD. I'm not sure what a NAS is but the Drive is a stand - alone connected by USB. By the way, this computer, which is only about 16 months old, has already had an internal HD replacement and is once again giving me the infamous "blue Screen" crash - so my opinion of HP is rapidly disintegrating.

Regards

Dene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
28,006 27,540 1,810 5,046
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Go to System Protection and look to see if the USB drive has protection setting enabled. It should indicate no for the external USB drive and yes for the C drive.  If the protection is set to yes for the external USB drive, then click on the drive and select configure and then disable it.

Additionally, review the suggestions in this posted article for handling shadow copies.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation