Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (3,676 Views)

External hard drive Accessing Issue with my md1000h~1TB

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I just bought a Simple Save md1000h 1TB five days ago. The last four days i dragged and dropped lots of my files to free up room on my computer (HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8100y operating in vista) and everything worked great.  Today I came home from work to continue moving files, and my computer was completely locked up first time this has happened.  so i did a hard reboot and and since i havn't been able to figure out what was wrong.  I have looked all over for someone with the same issue as me, but no luck.  so if you have any ideas that would be helpful i would love to hear em'.

Here is my Issue:

The computer reads the the two networks:

for me its L:/ for the 1TB hard drive and M:/ for the CD drive that it came with it.  

When i go to click on it, it just lags up, so i tried exploring and then after 15-20min of waiting the main folder where all my files are, opens but that is as far as i can get.  at this stage, the folder and computer lags up and doesn't respond.   i have used 132GB of the 930GB.  I can right click on the drives and open properties and other info, but that is it. 

I heard you can click format, and it should work again, but that will erase everything on the drive, and  as i said early i was just moving items not backing up them, so i could free up space.

Things i have tried:

I have checked on another computer to see if it was the HDD or my computer, changed to 3 different USB ports, multiple resets on computer, disconnected power from HDD.

Anything would help, i am pretty computer savvy, so let it at me, cause i dont know what else to do.  I plan to call HP support tomorrow, hopefully they can help, if not i am down $100 and lots of important files.

Recap:

So my computer recognizes the device(s) , but it wont allow me to access my files within the hard drive.

I haven't really got any error messages other that the windows is not responding, when trying to open a folder i did get one error that said I/O device error.  I dont get it, b/c i was just watching recorded tv and videos from it last night.

My Computer: HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8100y

So thanks in advance for any responses, sorry for the wordy post.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 4 (3,651 Views)

Re: External hard drive Accessing Issue with my md1000h~1TB

Well yay, today i found out even more fun.  after i restarted my computer, the drives are not even recognized.  it comes up with usb device not recognized, and tells me to re-plug or replace. 

here is the exact message:

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows doesn't recognize it.

Student
Message 3 of 4 (3,138 Views)

i have the same issue with the HP MD 1000H no need to explaint it again ..SAME exact issue..

I can only see the drives but i cant get access to tthe files anymore, and I dont wanna lost them. and makes my PC lag a lot ..

We need a solution to this issue please...

Honor Student
Message 4 of 4 (3,108 Views)

sorry to hear that, i ended up just returning to store, and loosing 95% of my items i put on, good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation