cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Unzen
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Extremely poor product - 400 G3 SFF

HP Recommended
400 G3 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So for over 16 years working here, I (we've) been buying HP as our default systems for desktops, laptops and servers.

In all that time, I've had just two DOA devices. One of them being one of these 400 G3 SFF PCs. That has since been returned and replaced.

However, despite having purchased official Kingston compatible memory - http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?DeviceType=2&Mfr=HEW&Line=ProDesk&Model=94778&Description=K... - it doesn't like using both slots of memory. I'm pretty sure that I can get around that, but really - in 2017? Chuck in two compatible and identical sticks and it should just work.

Then I get to replace the standard WD 500GB SATA with a SanDisk SSD. Yet another problem. No matter which way I approach the issue - Legacy Mode, Secure Boot Mode, Intel controller drivers, reformatting with NTFS, trying exFAT - you name it, Windows 10 flatly refuses to touch the SSD. The same make, modle and capacity that we have currently installed in several other HP desktops - all running Windows 10 x64. Funnily enough - that's why we've continued to buy these items from SanDisk. I've since put that SSD into another PC and it works fine.

I put in a cleanly wiped SATA drive into the 400 G3 SFF and bingo - it has no issues installing Windows.

I just don't know what's happened with this line of PCs, but they are genuinely awful. It's not like they are inexpensive to buy either and it's made me extremely wary of going anywhere near other HP SFF PCs. We have nearly 500 installs across our network and never have I come across just one specific machine causing so much unnecessary annoyance.

Weird, strange and ultimately frustrating.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation