Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6 2260ea

Hello all

Could anyone assist please?  I have an HP Pavilion p6 2260ea desktop which I wish to "clean" prior to purchasing a new HP laptop.  

I have follwed the steps for factory reset reset several times and each time it fails.  What can I do to clean the PC

I would appreciate any help and advice

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Assuming you are using HP Recovery - are you invoking the recovery from Recovery Manager or with the Recovery disk set?

Here is a guide for using the Recovery Manager

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&SFS=isearch&section=ccweb&language=engl...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I'm using the recovery manager in the system settings and each time it works through the "getting ready " process to 100% following which it says restarting, however, it then freezes and won't restart.

when I then reboot and start the PC up it says reset failed and no changes have been made.

does this help?

thank you

HP Recommended

I'm on windows 10 by the way.

thank you

HP Recommended

Since this concerns Windows 10, you can do a clean install of Windows 10 by using the Windows 10 Media creation tool.  Make the DVD or USB and then the install from that.  Since you are doing this to make it clean.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Ah, there we are you've gone right over my head.  I'm afraid that unless its following basic instructions, I'm lost.  

I did see that I can reinstall windows 10, however, it also said I would need to reinstall all the "stuff" that was originally installed by HP when I bought the PC new, all of which is beyond me!!

thank you.

HP Recommended

I suppose it would be the time to ask why you wish to do a clean install and then want all the "stuff from HP"?

What is the Windows that came with the PC from the factory?  That is the version that will be installed if using the Recovery Manager.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi, as I intend to pass my PC on to someone, I'm wanting to ensure all personal information has been removed, leaving all the apps etc in place that were on the PC to start with.

Windows 7 was installed when I purchased and Later updated to windows 10.  I'd be happy if it installed 7 again, indeed I'd be happy if it simply completed the reset process.

thank you

HP Recommended

Well the topic is getting all muddy.  Please describe the process you are using in detail including any media.  IE: include any software and how it is being started.  It is not clear which version of any software is being used, so please indicate that information also.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi

i have tried to reset via two routes, the end result of which is the same, failure to reset.

With the pc working normally I have used the reset via the systems menu.  Opting for a full reset not keeping any personal files or info.

secondly, as the pc is booting up I have entered the HP settings, prior to logging in and sought to reset using f11.

The result of the above is that the pc "prepares and reaches 100%". It then says restart, which it does, however it then freezes.   The only way I can get it to say anything after that is to switch off and boot up again at which point it says reset failed no changes have been made.

I am operating on Windows 10 having upgraded from Windows 7 which was the original system on the pc.

I hope this clarifies the situation and I would appreciate any simple route to overcome this.

thankyou

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.