Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp omni
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking to sell my computer as I've just bought a new one. I'm trying to clear all the data off, is there any way I can do a factory reset to make sure everything is wiped off. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Twigs64

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Let's make sure we are both using the same terms.  When data is "wiped" it is overwritten by ones and zeroes in a way that it can NOT be recovered -- regardless of the bogus antics you see on TV and in the movies.

When a factory reset is done, the drive is "erased", not "wiped".  That means that basically, the partition boot record (PBR) is erased and with that, all information about the files and folders is removed -- but the actual files and folders are still there, and any data recovery app will get them back.

To securely remove files and personal data, you could use various partitioning tools that have the feature to wipe the drive -- but you would have to boot from USB or CD to do this, as they can't wipe the parition that is running.

A simpler process is to remove the hard drive and sell the laptop without it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.