Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 3 (854 Views)

Failed bios update

So I borked my bios.  I was installing the latest bios update on my touchsmart tm2 and the update program simply quit.  After restarting I get a blank screen with randomly flashing lights and a fan that sits at 100% speed and haven't been able to recover.  From my research the fix for this kind of issue is normally to hit windows + B as you start the computer, then it will read a previous version of the bios from the hp recovery partition.  However I'm one of those people that "cleaned" out the hp stuff from my computer by installing a non-hp version of Windows 7, which eliminated the recovery partition.  

I've also tried pulling the cmos battery/main battery and draining the mobo of power for 30 mins.  And I've tried the "hard reset" procedure.  All no dice.

Before I send this off to HP and pay the out of warranty repair costs, I had one more idea I'd like advice on.  I was wondering if I could use the recovery dvd to create a recovery partition on the laptop's drive using another computer (via external encloser), then use that to recover a working bios.  Before I waste time waiting for the dvd to arrive I need to know:

1. Will a recovery disc for a touchsmart tm2 let me create a recovery partition using another computer?

2. Does a fresh recovery partition even contain a bios recovery or is that only created when the bios update istriggered?

3. Are there any services out there that will repair my bios for less than $350?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 3 (851 Views)

Re: Failed bios update

Shotlivermutton, welcome to the forum.

I wish that I had better news, but there is no easy way to retrieve the BIOS.  At this point, you basically have a door stop.  There are Internet companies who can flash a BIOS for you, but you have to be able to remove the BIOS chip.  This may not be possible if HP solders the BIOS chip to the motherboard.  Doing a System Recovery won't solve your problem.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen X; i7-6700K; 16 GB DDR4 2133; GTX 1070; 256 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 3 (842 Views)

Re: Failed bios update

A fresh and clean Recovery will not have anything BIOS related.

The BIOS backup you made (or skipped) was only made as part of the BIOS update you did.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation