Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
martini1179 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fans loud at idle on new Windows 10 machine, possibly due to anniversary update

HP Slimline 260-p047cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Not to repeat myself, but I was helping my parents to install a new HP slimline 260 Windows 10 PC, and after installing some web browsers and updating Windows 10 with the anniversary update and a few others, after all of the restarts, and after testing it out post-update (it was working as expected) this morning I power up the machine and the fans seem to be working at 100%, even though CPU utilization is consistently low (sub 10%) and the computer is at idle.

I'm literally sitting there for 10 minutes with task manager open, watching nothing run and yet the fans are much louder than what they were for the brief time the PC was without the anniversary update, never cycling down even for an instant.

I've tried changing the power policy from active to passive cooling and restarting; nothing. I've tried installing speedfan and activating automatic fan control; nothing.

Please help!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Intern
Intern
56 56 1 3
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I don’t think so that the issue is created because of Anniversary update. Might be the CPU fans requires replacement because of years of use. I would suggest you to replace it first and then go for the further changes, if needed. Good Luck!!
0 Kudos
martini1179 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tomsmith23 wrote:
Might be the CPU fans requires replacement because of years of use. I would suggest you to replace it first and then go for the further changes, if needed. 

If you're not even going to bother reading the subject, don't bother replying. 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7771 6909 449 841
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @martini1179,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that soon after updating a new system to the Windows 10 anniversary, the system fans are running at high speed despite low activity  I am happy to give you a hand with this.

I did a little checking around and it seems that sort of issue is occurring for some people across, several manufacturer's brands. It is not a universal issue. But after looking through some pages discussing it, there are a few things you can try that various people reported as fixing the issue. Strange as it may sound, one person turned on High Performance in the Power options and the issue went away for him. It is worth a try. Several people reported that they found the cause was the Microsoft "Runtime Broker Application". They ended that process in Task Manager, and the issue went away for them.  That could be a temporary fix until another Windows update comes out that fixes the issue.  Another strange sounding fix that was suggested was to go into Settings > System > Notifications and Actions, and turn off "Show me tips about Windows"

Some others reported that for them, the issue was likely related to post processing as the issue went away by itself after a few days.

Please let me know whether any of that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation