Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 11 (259 Views)
Accepted Solution

First HP screen, then a black screen with a blinking underscore

[ Edited ]

Hello!

I bought a new Graphics card (Asus GeForce GT 740 2gb PhysX CUDA) for my Desktop PC (HP Pavilion p6-2067sc) and have a problem. When i put in the card and start up the PC the HP screen comes up for maybe 20 seconds, and after that its a black screen with a line blinking in the top left corner. Ive tried alot to fix it, but havent found any ways yet, i have updated BIOS to the latest update from HP.

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: First HP screen, then a black screen with a blinking underscore

Ok,i just found out that if i connect the vga to mother oard input, and start pc, and after 5 mins i plug the vga into the gfx card it shows that windows have started normally, and im on the desktop, i will now try to install drivers etc and see if this will fix it.
View solution in context
Dean
Message 2 of 11 (252 Views)

Assuming you still are using Windows 7. then there is a posibility that the new video card has confused the OS bootloader.  That is often the reason for the blinking cursor in the upper left corner.  HERE is a thread from awhile ago with the subject and several items to try.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Tutor
Message 3 of 11 (238 Views)

Hmm, also i forgotbto mention, if i use the graphic card i used before, the pc works just fine.
Tutor
Message 4 of 11 (237 Views)

Also when trying to press f8 f10 f11 etc it just appear a black screen with the pc specs, if i click on my keyboard, a small click noise comes from my pc.
Dean
Message 5 of 11 (228 Views)

I went back and looked at the specs for your PC and I see it has an i5 processor and 300w power supply.  While either one of these can cause a problem when upgrading the video card, I would start with a 450-500w power supply.

Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

Tutor
Message 6 of 11 (225 Views)

Does 16 watt really make a big difference? Since thats the difference on power usage from the old card and the new one
Tutor
Message 7 of 11 (221 Views)

I read abit on specifications, and it seems like it should be able to handle it.
TDP: 35W up to 95W (processor dependent)
Dean
Message 8 of 11 (211 Views)

I have no idea, as I only relay what I read about.  There is the other consideration I mentioned - having an i5 processor.  For what ever the reason, users are reporting problems when trying to upgrade a video card when the i3, i5, or i7 processors are involved.  I have not come across the reason, yet.

Tutor
Message 9 of 11 (206 Views)

Ok,i just found out that if i connect the vga to mother oard input, and start pc, and after 5 mins i plug the vga into the gfx card it shows that windows have started normally, and im on the desktop, i will now try to install drivers etc and see if this will fix it.
Dean
Message 10 of 11 (204 Views)

Glad to hear it has booted - the blinking cursor was indicating it could not or would not boot.  That is strange!!  Report back if all things work out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation