Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The BIOS on my Pavilion p6310f Desktop PC seems to no longer recognize the SATA ports on the motherboard therefore I cannot boot the computer, not from the Windows 7 HDD, nor from a Linux boot CD.

According to my ATX power supply tester the main feed is delivering adequate voltage to the motherboard.

Both devices seem to be powered as well, as you can hear them clicking and spinning on power up.

I have moved the SATA cables around, and have tried bringing up the machine with only one device at a time attached to the system.  No matter, the BIOS does not see the SATA devices.

I am able to access the HDD when putting it in an external enclosure and connecting it to another machine via USB.  I can't say for certain that the boot sector is okay, however, chkdsk found no problems to correct.

I'd like to try updating the BIOS, however, the update program, sp46428.exe, requires Windows 7 to run.  Given that the machine doesn't see the HDD there is not easy way for me bring up Windows 7 on the machine.

There is no BIOS option for booting from a bootable USB device, and when I enable LAN boot, the machine sees the attached USB mass storage device but complains that there is no valid boot device in the machine, even when I place LAN at the top of the boot priority.

Does HP itself provide other methods and tools for updating the BIOS?

If the solution involves DOS on a bootable USB drive, I will only attempt the upgrade if DOS is sourced by Microsoft or Hewlett Packard.

Please don't send me offsite to third-party solutions.

Thanks,

Tom

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Tom,

I am sorry to tell you that there is no software/firmware/BIOS fix, that will solve your issue and that the solution involves replacing the motherboard or the computer. Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion p6310f Desktop Computer and its M2N78-LA (Violet6) motherboard. Please refer to these HP forum posts concerning the "M2N78-LA failure" and remedies.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Please send KUDOS

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hi,

As Frank has mentioned, HP does not provide tools to flash the bios other than from Windows.

Bottom line ---> Start looking at third party bios flashing tools via using a CD or buy a new motherboard.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.