cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bair73
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Forgotten Start up password

HP Recommended
Pavilion P7-1410
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

My Pavilion-1410 is locked and the only window that is up says that this computer is configured with a password in order to start up. I've had this computer for 2 years and have never seen this before. I don't remember any password but I've tried to enter several passwords and all it does is go to an automatic repair/diagnostic.While in the repair options, I tried using the recovery disk #1 that I got when I puchased the computer but it didn't help, nothing happens. It also asks for the admnistrative account password but the computer has no administrative account. What can I do?

9 REPLIES 9
NHope16
5 5 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. Have you had any suggestions?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thank you!

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  I've tried to enter several passwords and all it does is go to an automatic repair/diagnostic.

That seems to indlcate that the password has been accepted.

Have you tried just pressing ENTER at the prompt?

From that "repair/diagnostic" screen, which options have you tried?

What happened?

NHope16
5 5 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried all the passwords we have used in the past, I also tried just pressing return, it always just goes back to restart/repair or giving me advanced options. There I tried pretty much every option, it either tells me that I need to be logged in as the administrator (obviously, I can't even get to the login part so how I am supposed to do this is an enigma to me, also, it tells me that there is no administrator account on this laptop) or does just return to start-up/repair screen and then continues to ask me for the start-up password.

I was in touch with HP support and they sent me a bin file to reset the BIOS but I think I was 1 day to late to do it and the bin file had expired (I wasn't aware that it was time sensitive) as it didn't work. I have emailed them to ask for another bin file but haven't heard back from them since (over a week ago).

I tried to download the diagnostic tool from HP website but that didn't really work either, but not sure I did the right thing as that method seems to be for people who get past that barrier of needing a start-up password.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated (although, I am beginning to think it would be much cheaper to just buy a new laptop if it wasn't for the horrendous waste and burden on the planet to waste a perfectly good machine).

It is a HP ProBook 450 G2 I have the problems with. 

Many thanks in advance for the kind help!

NHope16
5 5 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oh, forgot to mention, it does seem that the password has been accepted but it just ends up doing the same cycle over and over again - after the apparent diagnostic and repair it keeps asking me for the password and after the third attempt of putting in a password guess what.... just goes to repair/diagnostics again offering me a restart or advanced options.... 

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I was in touch with HP support and they sent me a bin file to reset the BIOS.

No, no, no.  In this case, "resetting the BIOS" will *NOT* solve your problem.

A laptop can have several passwords:

* a "power-on" password that is required when powering-on the computer;

* a BIOS SETUP password that is required to enter BIOS SETUP, to view/change settings;

* a password at the "Windows Login" time, to login to your ID.

I think that you are writing about the "Windows Login" password, not either of the others.

But, your writing is contradictory.

You seem to be able to get "past" that prompt for a password, only to discover that your Windows installation needs "repair".

Is that correct?

What "advanced options" have you tried?

P.S. You *DO* have an 'administrator' account, but Windows tends to "hide" it during normal operations.

NHope16
5 5 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. No, it definitely isn't the Windows password. I do know that one. It is a password that pops up straight after switching on the machine (and has never done so before) and before it has started up.

The machine recently had been hacked and taken to a PC shop for 'repair'/clean-up. That is when the request for the start-up password appeared. (and which I had never seen before in the 15 months that we have had this laptop).

The advanced options I have tried were 'Continue' (same thing happens), 'Troubleshooting/refresh your PC, /Reset your PC, /Advanced Options/System Restore, /System Image Recovery, /Start-up Repair, Start-up Settings.....

So when I switch the laptop on, it first of all says 'preparing automatic repair' with HP logo on background, then it tells me "Your PC did not start correctly, press 'restart' to restart your PC, which can somtimes fix the problem. You can also press 'Advanced options' to try other options to repair your PC.' When I press 'restart' it loops to the password section:

'This computer is configured to require a password in order to start up. Please enter the Start-up password below.'

Hope this helps to clarify the issue.

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am confused.  You said that your computer is "Pavilion P7-1410" and a "laptop".

When I do a search:   http://www.bing.com/search?q=Pavilion+P7-1410

I see images of "desktop" computers,

and a link to the "Specifications" page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03499677

> when I switch the laptop on, it first of all says 'preparing automatic repair' with HP logo on background,

> then it tells me "Your PC did not start correctly, press 'restart' to restart your PC,

> which can sometimes fix the problem.

> You can also press 'Advanced options' to try other options to repair your PC.'

> When I press 'restart' it loops to the password section:

> 'This computer is configured to require a password in order to start up.

> Please enter the Start-up password below."

You also wrote:  The machine recently had been hacked and taken to a PC shop for 'repair'/clean-up.

Did that shop add the password?

If I was in your situation, I would:

1. Re-read: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx

Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?

Jesper M. Johansson, Ph.D., CISSP, MCSE, MCP+I, [former] Security Program Manager, Microsoft Corporation

which definitely states that the ONLY way to recover from a compromised computer is to "flatten-and-rebuild".

2. Find the "System Recovery Set" that I created when I first purchased the computer (either one USB memory-stick, or a few DVD-recordable disks), or purchase that set from HP or from www.ComputerSurgeons.com

3. Buy a new (maybe SSD) disk-drive.  Probably, the current disk-drive is "out-of-warranty", and was due to be replaced, like the preventative action of replacing a "bald" automobile-tire before it "blows".

4. Install the original Windows 8 onto the new disk-drive.

5. Update the anti-virus software, and run Windows Update.

6. Use an external SATA-to-USB adapter to connect the original disk-drive to the adapter to the computer.

7. Copy all my personal files (the anti-virus software will scan each file, during the "copy").

8. Install some of the previous applications (MS Office? Adobe? iTunes? GIMP? Audacity?)

9. Have a beer, and also have peace-of-mind.

NHope16
5 5 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First of all, thanks for your help! I really appreciate it. HP have been completely quiet for over a week and not come back to me in response to my last email.

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't actually post the original post, I replied to the original post saying that I have the same problem. I have a HP ProBook 450 G2.

No, the shop didn't add the password. We asked them and they said to us that HP/manufacturer should have the password. But when I contacted HP support, they suggested a BIOS update/reset.

I will suggest the steps to my boss.

Thanks ever so much for your help!

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> [HP has] not come back to me in response to my last email.

This forum has a "private E-mail" facility.  Have you checked that area, for a "private response" ?

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation