cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
capitalmack
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Freeze on boot: m8100n fails to get past first screen

HP Recommended

Hello...

I own an HP m8011n Pavilion PC, about 18 months old and working well until yesterday.

Without warning, the computer has suddenly started to fail to boot properly. It turns on and displays the BIOS screen but goes no further. The machine remains on, I can hear fans going and the DVD drive spins if a disc is inside, but that's it. The BIOS screen says I can hit F10 to enter Setup, but this does not work. No combination of buttons makes anything happen.

If I hold the power button, after about ten seconds the machine turns off. If I yank the power supply and re-attach, the computer starts automatically, though with the same problem.

The BIOS screen lists v5.09 and I see that a newer flash is available on the website... but only for Vista. I downgraded this machine to XP immediately after purchase. I do have the Vista recovery discs (and XP install as well) but neither is detected by the machine, seems the boot preferences I set (DVD, HDD then network) are ignored here.

No hardware installed or removed recently, no new software and no notable errors. I removed the hard drive and turned on the machine, with the same results. This suggests to me that it might be something other than the HDD... everything was working very well until this sudden change.

Can you recommend a solution or something to try? Much appreciated.

dan

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation