Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-336
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am a subscriber to my local cable company's broadband service for the past couple of months and currently own a TP-Link Cable Modem instead of the modem provided by the company. The model number for the modem is TC-W7960. All of my devices worked including my tablet, laptop, streaming devices, and my PS4, but as for my desktop, my Wifi speeds were either slowed down(I have a 15GBps connection, clocked at somewhere at around 6MBps, and dropping) or I got disconnected altogether. As I was not able to access the Internet, all of my other devices still work. That is because my modem is located in the family room downstairs on the first floor, and my computer is located in the back of the house in the second floor. When I get dropped out, I had to reboot the router for a few minutes and my computer is connected to the Internet, but I quickly lost connection within five minutes.  Another remedy for this is to reboot the system and I was able to get back on the Internet, but for just a few minutes with maximum speed before throttling to around 3.5MBps, then disconnected altogether.

A few days ago, when I moved my desktop to my bedroom in the second floor of the house, my Internet speed were back to normal and I do not get dropouts. It is because my bedroom location is above the living room where the modem is placed at. I don't have any connection problems with other devices in my previous room where my computer was located.

Is there a solution on why my Wifi speed is slower compared to other devices when the desktop is located in a certain room? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@CurtisGamer

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand your internet frequently drops and the internet speed isn't what you expect it to be,

We don't always get what we want but I'll make sure you get what you need 😉

A few things to remember are mentioned below:

The compatibility of your router with the wireless card,

If the wireless card is 1x1: supports 2.4ghz and below - slow connection and download/upload speed,

If it's 2x2 or more: support 5ghz and above - Fast connected and speed.

Here are your Product specifications: Click here for details.

If you wish to have a higher speed and resolve the issues with dropouts, we better get your computer a better teacher, so that its learns better and eliminate the possibility of a "dropout" 😛 😉

That said, you would need to upgrade your WiFi card, the cheapest way of getting a good quality upgrade is going for a USB Wifi dongle with a 2x2 bandwidth that supports your routers speed.

Keep me posted for further assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My mistake, actually I have a 15MBps connection, not 15GBps. 

HP Recommended

@CurtisGamer

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

However, the solution to your concern will remain the same either way,

Please go through me reply and let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.