cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BenB
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fresh install Windows 8 (or 7) P7-1520

So I wiped out the default install in that we are licensed for Windows 8 Professional.  We image our machines so I figured I would remove all the partitions and install a clean version.  when I try to install I am now getting an error  "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" or "A media driver your computer needs is missing".

I was able to install Windows 7 Professional but I cannot find any drivers (would prefer Windows 7).

What do I need to do to get Windows x Professional installed?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
BenB
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Te error is actually "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB, or Hard Disk driver"

0 Kudos
Level 10
5,568 5,441 387 899
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I understand you are receiving a media drive error when installing Windows 8.

It looks like this user has had the same error and one of the commenters indicates this is related to the storage controller.  

The storage controller for this system would be the Intel RST driver found in the link below.

Download one of the F6 zip files for the appropriate bit architecture you are planning on using.  Once you download the zip file, extract the contents to a blank USB flash drive (or other USB drive of your choice). 

Begin installing Windows 8.  When you get to the screen that you mentioned, there should be a browse button in the error.  Connect the USB drive that contains the extracted files.  Click browse and navigate to this USB drive.  Iastorf.sys should be listed.  Select this file and this should allow the Windows 8 installation to work with the storage controller allowing the installation to continue.  

Let me know what happens.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
odzz23
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Im having the same problem with the elitebook 8440p.. the file in the link doesnt work for me. could you help please?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation