Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (347 Views)

Front Headphone Jack Reassigned; Beats Audio No Longer Available

Product Name: h8-1300z
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Front headphone jack is now assigned as a communications device (basically call-center style headphones & mic).  I am unable to use this jack for regular headphones any longer.  I am unable to change the assignment back to simply 'headphones' -- the original setting when the PC was manufactured by HP.  Also, Beats Audio (and its Control Panel) no longer works and HP has no software download for my PC for it ("cannot find .startup file!").  How do I reassign the front 3.5mm headphone jack to be what it used to be and how do I get Beats Audio from HP if their support website doesn't even let me choose the software?

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 5 (307 Views)

Re: Front Headphone Jack Reassigned; Beats Audio No Longer Available

Welcome to the HP Support Forums @maadiman70!

I understand that you were having an issue getting your headphones to work. I will do my absolute best to help you resolve the problem on your HP Pavilion HPE h8-1300z CTO Desktop PC. 

As you know the HP Pavilion HPE h8-1300z CTO Desktop PC software and driver page does not have supported drivers for Windows 10 available. 

When did the headphone jack stop working?

When did the Beats Audio stop working?

Have you tried to do a System Restore back to when they were working?

Have you tried using the Windows troubleshooting tool?

Have you tried to see if the headphones are recognized by the Desktop?

Here is a document called No Sound from the Speakers or Headphones. There are some steps in it that may help you. 

The best thing you can do because there are no Windows 10 drivers available for you at this point, is to do your Windows Updates and the HP Support Assistant updates. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

If this reply resolves your issue, please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button at the bottom of this post. 

To simply say thanks, please click the Thumbs up below!

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and any other information you can provide to help me assist you in a resolution. 

Thanks for joining the HP Support Community! 
Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (286 Views)

I updated to Windows 10 when it first came out (a year ago?).  The headphone jack and Beats audio began to fail about two months ago.  Tried Windows troubleshooting, failed.  System Restore points were deleted, so this is not an available solution.  HP Support only tells me that there is no dowloads/software availble for me, so I can't even download and reinstall Beats.  Headphones are only recognized if I plug them into the rear audio jack; the front audio jack now requires I use a call-center type headset and will not recognize basic headphones.  The main speakers will still be on and working if I plug regular headphones into the front jack.

Basically, I'm posting on this message board because I've pretty much tried everything short of buying a new PC.

Retired
Message 4 of 5 (281 Views)

Hey, 

You are correct. There are no drivers available for Windows 10 and your Notebook. I looked up your User Guide and found a troubleshooting section for Speakers and Sound: 

Maybe see if those steps help. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Message 5 of 5 (269 Views)

Nevermind.  The diagnostic says it's working -- that's because Windows 10 assigned the front jack to be for Communications Headphones, and it just says they're not plugged in.  If only I could reassign this jack to be for regulary old every-day headphones the problem would be resolved.

Thanks for your help.

This issue cannot be resolved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation