cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Ew435890
Level 3
45 36 1 2
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

GPU Upgrade on an HP P7-1233w

HP P7-1233W
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Ive got an HP P7-1233W that I wanted to upgrade. So Ive installed a new 500W PSU and an MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB GPU. The problem Im having is that once I install the drivers from the included disc, and shut down the computer and hook up the new GPU, the computer will not start. I am getting no signal from it. Ive got all the power cords connected and the card is seated nice and tight.

I noticed that If I unhook any of the power plugs, the com0uter will work fine with the integrated graphics and all of the fans on the GPU are working. 

Please let me know if you know what I need to do to get this GPU working. 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Level 7 redlofredlof
Level 7
803 779 66 160
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I dont think  your PC supports theGPU. Regardless of that. most GPU's should work just fine.

Does your new GPU use a PCI-e 12v power cable to be connected?

You might need to get the same plugged in properly.

What kind of PSU are you using? Make sure to a compatible ATX 12v 80+ certified PSU.

Have you checked in BIOS whether the PC is set to use the internal GPU as the primary GPU?

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

there are two reasons behind this-

the first,and the most probable , reason is BIOS incompatibility...hp pc's manufactured before mid 2012 do NOT support UEFI bios...most newer cards require UEFI to run...however,some msi cards in the r9 280 series come with a hybrid bios feature-for compatibility on older systems...see whether there is a little sticker saying "HYBRID BIOS READY" on the top right side of the backside of the box your msi card came in..

the second reason is...its not getting the power it needs...which means that youve not connected the six pin or eight pin power connecter from the psu to the card...

if you have connected the power supply to the card properly and also connected the hdmi/vga ports properly,then the first reason applies...speaking of which,even if it does come with hybrid bios, there's no guarentee it will work...in that case, changing the motherboard is the only way out( or you can get another card...but the 280 is a great one and it'd be a waste if you couldnt use it)...there are great ones available for under a 100$ and i can suggest a few

Hope this helps

Did this reply resolve your post or question?

If yes, then share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution.
You can also show your appreciation by giving kudos.

Ew435890
Level 3
45 36 1 2
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I was considering swapping mother boards. After doing research everything is pointing at the mobo not being UFEI comparable. Which mother boards did you have in mind? I would like to be able to just swap all of my existing stuff over. I also have a larger case I'm going to be using. The GPU and PSU are getting really crowded in there.
0 Kudos
Ew435890
Level 3
45 36 1 2
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

And as for the bios settings, I have yet to find any sort of settings to disable the integrated graphics. Only way I've been able to do that is through the device manager. Once I get home I can give you guys the specs on the PSU and every thing else. I know the GPU uses a 6 pin power plug and an 8 pin one. The 8 pin one is using a 6 pin plug with the extra two slot adapter connected to the 6 pin part. The computer will boot up normally (with the integrated graphics hooked up) with the extra 2 pin part unplugged. But with them all hooked up I get no video on any source.
0 Kudos
Ew435890
Level 3
45 36 1 2
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I just remember there being a small switch on the card. I don't remember exactly what for. But I remember one mode was for better comparability. I bet that's what it is. I know it's in the other mode ATM. So I'll move the switch when I get home and let you guys know.
0 Kudos
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Aha...the switch bios system...there's hope still....if there is a switch then you should try flipping it to legacy mode and see what happens...there's a chance it might solve the problem...(this is a switch mode enabled hybrid bios card you have)

on board graphics are disabled automatically when a new card is installed...no worries there

as to a mobo change...your processor is pretty old and fm2 socket motherboards,if available, are not too great...you can re-use your ram but id recommend( make that strongly recommend) a processor change too if you are to see the 280 performing to full potential without bottlenecks....maybe buy a new mobo and a used fx-83xx or a core i5/i7?can hep you with those things

that's upto you,though...

(if you really wanna keep your current processor...then here goes...http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007625%20600370105%204115%...

there are five models in the above link...id prefer asrock or msi

hope this helps

If yes, then share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution.

Ew435890
Level 3
45 36 1 2
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ok guys, The switch worked. Its showing the full 3GB of video memory now. Im assuming the switch has to stay in that poistion? 

Another quick question. I have the computer hooked up to my  50" TV in the living room. Is there a way to get the sound through the HDMI as well? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

ha!! told you the switch would work...and yes...the switch should stay where it is

i wont be able to tell you the other one as i have never done that...however i think you should close this thread and perhaps start another one for that for a quicker reply....

Ew435890
Level 3
45 36 1 2
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I'll do that in a bit. I'm gonna go play GTAV in first person mode.
Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation