cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
praised10 Tutor
Tutor
14 8 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Graphic Card Upgrade Help

Dc7700 Small Form Factor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I Want to add a Dedicated video Card to my DC7700  for gaming and I'm  not sure what is the best card that will fit in that sff case. I'm also planning to upgrade my CPU to  C2D E6700 and put 4 GBs of RAM with it.

frankly I'm so confused and Have lots of question !!

1.  Since I have a PSU of 240W would it be enough to all these upgrades and the heavy load of gaming ? 
  2.  If I need to change or upgrade ( I have no idea if it's possible or how to do it if it is) the  PSU what's the best cheapest one that you would recommend ?
  3.  what the best GPU that you recommend ? 
  4. Right now I have 2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 MHz)  and was thinking about buying  4*1GB PC2-6400 (660 MHz). Would it improve the performance or not ? Also the PC manual say that my Mobo only support 4GB of RAM. Is that true ? Can't I exceed that limit ?
  5. My CPU fan is spinning @+3900 RPM and is too noisy even though my CPU temp is never too high and I don't know what to do with it. Should I get a CPU Cooler for instance ? what would you recommend ?

I'm sorry if that was tl;dr but I really need guidance. thank you in advance. :smileyembarrassed:

SPECS:

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86GHz 43 °C
Conroe 65nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 331MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 0A54h (XU1 PROCESSOR) 48 °C
Graphics
L1952HQ (1280x1024@75Hz)
Intel RGH Drivers v3[BETA] (HP)
Storage
74GB Western Digital WDC WD800JD-60LSA5 ATA Device (SATA) 42 °C
298GB Seagate ST3320311CS ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
3GB Kingston DataTraveler 102 USB Device (USB) 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
102,638 96,715 14,983 23,079
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since you are running W10 64 bit, I recommend you install 4 x 2 GB of PC2 6400 memory.  Your PC can handle 8 GB of system memory.

See the Q965 chipset specs below...max memory size...

http://ark.intel.com/products/27732

You cannot upgrade the power supply so you are limited to whatever cards may work within that constraint.

Probably a nvidia GT 610 or an AMD Radeon HD 6450 would be as much as you should install.

Make sure you get the conroe E6700 and not the wolfdale E6700.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27251/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E6700-4M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

Use this handy power supply calculator to see how much wattage power supply you need with your proposed upgrades.

The basic tab should suffice.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

There are no optional CPU coolers that I know of.  If there is no dust clogging the vents and heat sink fins, it is remotely possible that the thermal sensor in the processor is bad (it thinks the processor is too hot and then signals the cooling fan to rev up).

praised10 Tutor
Tutor
14 8 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There are no optional CPU coolers that I know of.  If there is no dust clogging the vents and heat sink fins, it is remotely possible that the thermal sensor in the processor is bad (it thinks the processor is too hot and then signals the cooling fan to rev up).

when I first bought it 4 years ago it was very quit. Till one day it started roaring, so I opened the case and cleaned it up, used thermal grease on the CPU but nothing . by and by I kept dusting it out and nothing changed . it's so noisy -that I witnessed a decrease in my hearing I swear to GOD- that I'm putting a book on the front of the PC to reduce noise . Sir if it's a Thermal sensor issue what can I do to solve it PLEASE it's a matter of noise and silence. 

I ran speecy, SpeedFan, OpenHardwareMonitor and HWINFO64 all at once and the temp was ok I guess. also the link  you gave me say that the case can operate in a max of +90C so I think there's nothing wrong with my temps.

2016-10-03_211104.png

2016-10-03_211217.png2016-10-03_210848.png

and concerning the GPU I used http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator tested HD 7750 (which I was told would fit in a sff) with 8gb of ram and my 2 hdd and it gave me 205 wattage load so I suppose it'll work. Right ?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, that card should work.

I think someone else on this forum installed one in a dc7800 SFF.

I think the only way to take care of the sensor thing is to replace the processor.

My understanding is the thermal sensor is in the processor, not the motherboard.

praised10 Tutor
Tutor
14 8 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will first try to change the heatsink and fan and see if that works. I'm planning to change the CPU anyway So. Thank you very much.

something else from your experience those temps seems OK right ?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

praised10 Tutor
Tutor
14 8 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again I think I solved the fan  noise issue but I have a little tiny question. I'm sorry to bother you again.

I used  SpeedFan which is a free utiliy which I'm sure you've heard of. I know that it's kind of a pro user utility. but I watched a couple of videos and tweeked my fan speed with it a little bit and bam I could hear the most beutiful sound i've ever heard; I  could hear the sound of the hard drive spinning.

My queston is :

since the RPM of the fan droped significately (1827 RPM) the motherboard temp  augmented to 59/60 C , is this temp safe. I mean would my mobo be damaged or anything ?

All I want to know is wether these temps are ok !!

this is my  temp as well as my RAM and CPU usage.

2016-10-08_031836.png2016-10-08_031846.png

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, I have heard of that utility, but since I am not a hardware/software engineer, or PC repair tech by trade or training, unfortunately, I have no idea what the temperature range of the motherboard should be.

You may want to start a new thread regarding that question, and perhaps someone will be able to provide the answer you are looking for.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation