cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jakub-g Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Graphic Card upgrade, use 70W card in 45W socket?

ProLiant ML110 G6
Other

I have ProLiant ML110 G6

I've bought Sapphire Radeon R7 250 2GB GDDR5 card. Before I buy, I've checked compatibility of my PCIe v2 x16 slot with PCIe v3 x16 card. I'ts compatible backwards so I can use v3 card in my v2 slot i MB. But When I was trying to install it I've noticed that on MB is inprinted PCIe x16 45W (I attached photo below).

So can I use this card - in specification is given that consumption of this card is 70W. Can undervoltage break my G card?

Maybe I should ure Riser with extra molex pin? x16 slot gives 45W and molex can give 35W = total 80W. What you think

WP_20160704_11_35_39_Rich.jpg

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost
Provost
29,934 27,539 1,807 5,032
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have seen HP document PCI-E wattage below slot type specifications due to the installed power supply wattage size.  The graphics card that you purchased has a recommended power supply size of 400 watts and your Proliant only has a 300 watt power supply.  Your PC has significant age with an unknownconfiguation so it's had to tell if the 300 watt PSU will even come close to modern 300 watt power supplies.  I noticed that the Sapphire Radeon R7 250 has a 75 watt rating.

Many years ago I had observed that a high powered PCI card actually melt the PCI slot.  I don't think that will happen with modern PC technology.

Obviously HP has documented the PCI-e slot wattage rating for a reason.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
jakub-g Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I've bought 600w PSU with the card:). I had installed it , it works fine but I'm considering use of riser with extra molex power pin. I'll look on my g card after few days of working. My sapphire has 70w tdp. 75w has the same model which comes with boost menory. I have standard one 🙂

Best regards
Jakub
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation