Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion 500-223ix
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Need some more graphical power for my desktop ...and I was wondering about getting a Zotac Nvidia 750ti GPU!

The power supply is the first issue as my PSU is only 300 Watts but I'll replace it!

The second issue is that will the GPU fit in the motherboard as my old GPU is a low-end 5450 and is a very small card.... but the 750 ti is pretty big as compared to the 5450.  So will the GPU fit in my Motherboard as by looking at the motherboard I think that the Northbridge might interfere! So can anyone help me!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Zeak666,

Welcome to the HP community and thanks for posting your question here. A very good day to you! 🙂  I read the post about requiring information about graphics card upgrade. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Superb effort and spectacular analysis of the issue. 🙂 Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 We greatly value your relationship with HP.  

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this:

Have you checked the product specifications of the computer and the cards that you want to replace?

Going by the product specifications of the computer’s motherboard, on paper, some  Nvidia and AMD Radeon Graphics card should be compatible. 

But you need to upgrade to a higher capacity power supply to match the graphics card power requirements as it needs to power that card.

However, there are a few factors that need to be kept in mind.

• Form Factor of the GPU to be housed in the Tower.
  • The type of Power Supply required.
  • The connectors of the power supply
  • The PCIE slot.
  • RAM requirement.
  • You could actually check all the right boxes relating to these for the PCIE slot and required RAM. Your computer meets all the requirements.
  • However, please check the power supply connector type should match the power connector of the graphic cards that you plan to upgrade. That is paramount. If it does then the GPU should work with your computer.
  • Bios of the computer comes into play. It should be updated to the latest bios version to support these graphics cards.

Regarding the specific display card, Zotac Nvidia 750ti GPU, it will not be possible to house it in the same slot as it is a larger card with a larger form factor.

Finally, it does have a PCI express slot that could house this card. Look up the specs on it from the link mentioned above for motherboard specs:

• One PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0)
  • Three PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0)
  • One PCI Express half-length mini card

Look it up under expansion slots.

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by HP for optimal performance. However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the unit.

So please contact a local Best Buy or staples technician and perform the upgrade so that there are no compatibility issues with the GPU upgrade for your computer and everything works smoothly.

Link for product specifications of the computerhttp://support.hp.com/in-en/product/HP-Pavilion-500-Desktop-PC-series/5399647/model/6947835/document...  

Link for Motherboard specifications of the computer: http://support.hp.com/in-en/product/HP-Pavilion-500-Desktop-PC-series/5399647/model/6947835/document...

The service manual link could also be useful: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03975078

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. I'm always there to assist you. Please reach out anytime. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.