Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite HPE-575a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion Elite HPE-575a Desktop, Pegatron 2AB6 with Legacy Bios, 8GB Memory, and an AMD Radeon HD 6570 GPU. Looking to upgrade my PSU power supply regardless, but looking for a graphics card that will be supported by legacy bios and not UEFI as there seems to be many issues with this. 

Any suggestions for a GPU that will work well with my desktop?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Lighthou

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-575a Desktop PC. I read that you would like to upgrade the power supply and the graphics card on the PC. You need a graphics card that will be supported by legacy BIOS and not the UEFI.

Presently I do not have the information that can tell if a graphics card will be supported by the legacy BIOS and not UEFI. 

Moreover, you need a PCI Express x16 compatible graphics card. Only then you may upgrade the power supply. Because some graphics cards need an extra power input from the power supply. While some graphics card may work right away by connecting them to the PCI Express x16 slot on the motherboard. 

The power supply that can fit into the PC should be an Internal ATX form factor power supply. Dimensions: 150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches).

Looking by the product specifications looks like your PC is a few years old. Therefore it would be better if you check with a local technician to try a list of the graphics card on your PC. The older BIOS may not support the newer and the latest graphics cards. 

I hope this information helps. Keep me posted for any questions. Cheers! 

HP Recommended

Hey yeah,

Thanks for the reply, I mean I knew everything you told me and was just hoping someone from HP would know a working graphics cards for the older Bios and PCI slots.

Thanks anyways,

Ryan

HP Recommended

Hi Ryan

I am aware of two vendors that make newer graphics cards that will run on a Legacy BIOS.

Sapphire makes some AMD cards in the X series.

MSI also makes AMD cards and has a GTX 750Ti for sale.

It seems you may have a PCIe x16 gen1 slot. This is a problem as the newer graphics cards are only compatible with PCIe x16 gen2 and gen3.

The only upgrade path for you is to buy a PCIe gen2 graphics card that is backwards compatible using a PCIe gen1 slot.

Grzy

HP Recommended

@Lighthou,

While @Grzwacz makes some valid suggestions, I would really ask the most pressing question.  What is your goal? If you mentioned a specific game, then the choice would be based on the card. While the GTX 750Ti (MSI) has a switch for Legacy/UEFI, there have been reports of problems.  Gaming is based  on 3 parameters: CPU, RAM, and GPU.  It's possible to upgrade the GPU, only to finhd out thye CPU is under powered.  You could go here, and input the games(s).

http://www.game-debate.com/can-I-run/?EA

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I am aware my CPU is strong enough as well as having enough ram to run the games at a decent quality, but I know the graphics card is holding me back. I currently have 8GB ram and an i7 2600, which at this point both are much better than the GPU

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.