Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
LovinglyLinnea Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Graphics Card Upgrade?

HP Slim Desktop 410-030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am really new to computers, so I followed a friend's advice and purchased this computer (Slim Desktop 410-030) for gaming. However, I came to find out later that the computer wasn't really all that well equipped for gaming straight from the factory. So, I've been looking at ways that I can possibly upgrade this computer to better suit my needs since I JUST bought this thing a few months ago.

I need to get an actual dedicated graphics card, I know at least that, but according to a techie that I went to about upgrading the computer, there isn't actually enough space in this computer to get an updated graphics card. So to remedy that, apparently I have to get a whole new case for the computer. And ON TOP of all of that, apparently there's not even enough power in this computer to handle a new graphics card.

I feel so hopelessly lost and helpless. What on Earth am I supposed to do to get some form of satisfactory gaming power out of this thing? Any recommendations on good graphics cards and upgrades that won't completely bankrupt me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Linnea

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
20454 2247 7478
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Graphics Card Upgrade?

Linnea, welcome to the forum.

I don't like to be the barer of bad news, but Slimline models are simply not meant to be good for gaming.  The size of the case as you mentioned is not large enough to allow for good airflow.  This is necessary to keep the computer cool while gaming.  Once you add a larger power supply unit (PSU) and video card, the heat goes up considerably.

You would have to measure the PSU in the computer to know if one of the standard ATX PSU's would fit.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K; 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

28010 1807 5027
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Graphics Card Upgrade?

Hi Linnea,

The HP Parts Store doesn't stock a graphics card for your model PC.  This particular model PC would never make it as a gaming PC. The power supply is only 180 watts. The PCI-E slot for a graphics card would require a low profile, very narrow and be short in length for a graphics card.

I don't recommend that you should pursue this particular model HP for gaming use.  However, should you decide to try it anyway, then look for a single width UEFI enabled graphics card that is low profile and less than 7" in length. I suggest that you open the PC and do some measuring so that you know what size graphics card will fit. Additionally, the graphics card should not exceed 30-40 watts as the 180 watt power supply in your PC is woefully under sized for any high powered graphics card.  You might just be throwing money away in an attempt to make this PC a gaming PC.

You might want to call the HP Parts Store and see if there is a graphics card that is used in similar models that would work.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 16GB, 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
LovinglyLinnea Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Graphics Card Upgrade?

Can the motherboard (Shave-HSW) be used with a different case? The computer is literally brand new, MONTHS old, and I want to use as much of it as possible if I have no other option than to rip it apart and make a Franken-computer. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation