Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question
Graphics Card and Low Power Supply 350 Watt
Replies (18)

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 11 of 19 (1,780 Views)

Re: Graphics Card and Low Power Supply 350 Watt

Onesnark- I have been following your various threads on the trichannel memory access and the configs of memory  and MOBOS allowing dual vs. trichannel and now its driving me nuts too!   All of the comments by the various contributors here and the (conflicting) feedback you've gotten from HP, and the configs they offer is confusing and discouraging for those of us who want the most bang for our buck.  Gee, they seem to hobble the 9280 (which I just bought) with an extra 1GB of RAM - guaranteeing  

Above you've stated that the 9270 with i7 860 won't work in trichannel mode with 3 x 2GB RAM.  Why not?  The 3 DIMM rule, and matching DIMM rule is met.  Same with 12GB in the 3 x 4GB config. 

Also, I posed this question to the HP presales support site: Does the 9270 run in trichannel mode in the above configs? 

Funny thing is, on the confgure/buy pages it says DDR3-1366, but on the actual product specificaton page it gives valid combos of RAM configs, and they are ALL DDR3-1066! 

It is irritating that they don't specify if the systems are configured for trichannel access on the buy pages.  Seems like that would be a good advertising point, if in fact ANY of the MOBOS and configs they offer do!

Tutor
Message 12 of 19 (1,779 Views)

Onesnark- You say you have resoved your memory questions with HP.  What is your final conclusion, aside don't by unbalanced or whacky configs. ?? 

I think its shameful that HP even offers those configs, because most people don't go this deep into it to understand that the flashy extra 1GB of RAM  might actually be hobbling the machine. 

Are you abandoning the 9270 / 9280s as contenders in favor of a Dell?

Its surprising HP doesn't have someone assigned to monitoring these boards and joining in the conversation to give authoritatively accurate answers.  They could do so much better with their sales.  Or maybe we're just a tiny minority that care about actual performance.

Student
Message 13 of 19 (1,771 Views)

[ Edited ]

Searchlightcast,

I recently looked up the detailed specifications and asked HP a number of questions about the e9270t.  Regarding the RAM, the Core i7 860 and the motherboard in the Core i7 860 will not do triple channel, it will only do dual channel as specified at the following links.  After reading performance reviews about the Core i7 860 in dual channel vs the Core i7 920 in triple channel, we chose to order the Core i7 860 with 4 x 2 GB because 2 x 4 GB was not a current option.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41316

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01946060

At least HP and Intel have the specifications that you can look up, but they are not that explicit on the sales page.

We also asked the question of HP, what will the power supply wattage be when upgrading to the GTX 260 and were told by the salesperson after referring to a "tech" 500-550W with brand and model unspecified.  However, we have not received the system yet to verify that as fact.

I have been looking for online reviews of this system with the GX260 card installed, but it seems like very few people have been able to review it.

Top Student
Message 14 of 19 (1,761 Views)

the i7 8xx processors run in dual channel mode, so you want your RAM to be configured likewise.  i recently purchased the e9250 with the i7 860 and the gtx 260 with 4 GB RAM (2x2), and the system runs very quiet and very stable, with good performance.  the only thing i may have to change is the power supply, and there's a good thread on these boards explaining how to go about that. also, choosing the gtx card prohibits hp from putting in a sound card - maybe the card is too big?  i haven't opened up the case yet to look.  performance wise i would go with the i7 8xx or the i5, as their performance matches or exceeds the older i7 9xx.

Honor Student
Message 15 of 19 (1,683 Views)

Hello Drake,

Have you received your system and can you verify that the power supply is 500-550W?

Teacher
Message 16 of 19 (1,663 Views)

Ok-You guys have just rained on my parade for sure. After months of researhing HP, Dell, ZT Systems, I chose and ordered the HP e9280t with the Core i7 920 and 8GB of RAM. Am I to understand that this configuration won't work? Something told me to get 9GB of RAM. I chose the HP because you could not get near the PC for the money from Dell.  Same with ZT Systems. I didn't know that the i7 920 was an older processor than the i860 or i870. I saw real early on that a majority of these machines were under powered and I also questioned how they could configure such. I have already had a bad experience with their sales department doing underhanded things regarding coupons. I had configured my machine and submitted my order which included a valid 5% off coupon but had a glitch with my Bank Card and the order didn't go through. I went and straightened everything out with the bank and when I went back to my account my configured PC was not there any longer(Yes, I did save it) and when I re-configured it, yep you guessed it, they would no longer accept the coupon, so now I am out an additional 80 dollars. I complained and the sales people said they would give me a credit (HP Gift Card) but I have yet to see anything. I am definitely a little down now and hope that I have not made a big mistake. They haven't built my machine yet and I wonder if I could change RAM to 9GB. Is that what I would need to do  

Honor Student
Message 17 of 19 (1,660 Views)

Irb1,

May I ask what coupon code did you use?

I'm thinking about getting an e9270t myself.

Teacher
Message 18 of 19 (1,652 Views)

Skooby12,

I have it written down at home and will post it in a couple of hours when I get off work. I got it off of the www. It was either dealigg or meanbargain. It was supposed to be good until Jan 6. I knew something was up when the sales people asked me where I got it from.

Student
Message 19 of 19 (1,490 Views)

Hello All...

I want to try and keep this conversation alive since I too am wanting to buy a e9270t with the ATI 4850 graphics card.  It would have the i7-860 CPU.  I called HP several times to try and find out from someone what size/rating the power supply will be on this build.  Nobody at HP knows...I can't believe it!!   Have any of you found out anything recently?  I've plugged in the information on various PSU rating calculation sites and it seems a 350W would be marginal.  Seems the ATI 4850 card takes about 100W more than say a 4650 card. 

Thanks...Tyler

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation