cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
andresjsalazar Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Graphics card - not recognized

ENVY 700 147C and 660 Ti card
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hey guys bought a desktop from Costco a couple of years ago.  I need to upgrade the video card.  this is what I have:

motherboard = MS7778  it has an integrated video card.

Desktop HP Envy 700 147C

BIOS: 80.52

Windows 8.1

Ok, We slapped in the 660TI in the PCI 16 slot..  NO Dice.

Went to BIOS, no option to disable onboard graphics, but we disabled the Secure Boot, and Enabled LEgacy mode.  And Disabled PCI Express security.

Disabled the onbaord gtaphics card in Device Manager.  No Dice.

Uninstalled the onboard graphics driver, no Dice.

The Device Manager will NOT see, recognize or show the 660TI card. 

The 660ti driver installer will not install becuase it says no card present.

Any ideas?

Andres and Gavin.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
10,383 9,760 1,324 3,577
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just got to appreciate your words, just slapped it in?

Did you change out the power (PSU) supply?? The original PSU is 300W, and does not have the required power leads, as the GTX 660Ti card requires two 6 pin PCIE power plugs, and a minimum of a 450W PSU.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I forgot to mention that.  I did buy a new power supply, I think it's 500.  So we are good there.

Honestly I have no idea what to do.  I can't get the video card to be recognized. The power and fans are on, but no installer will see it, or Device Manager. 

BIOS doesn't help.  removing the drivers to the onboard video isn't helping.  I don't want to have to get a new motherboard.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
10,383 9,760 1,324 3,577
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Return the system to it's original hardware and BIOS settings. Especially the PCI Express Security. Test the system. Then follow these instructions.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did this already. 

When I originally put in the Vid card, I got the Beeps and the computer would not boot up.

I've done the Legacy and secure boot deal, and still didn't work.

I guess I'm not understanding the order of operations and why this is not working.  I haven't gotten the new video card to be recognized by my motherboard/device manager not once in all the difference tactics we've tried. 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
10,383 9,760 1,324 3,577
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you return the the PCI Express Security to it's default (original setting) ?

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation