Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Jonad Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

H8-1214 Video Card upgrade to nVIDIA GT 730

Pavilion H8-1214
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the following extra components added to the desktop:

- Seagate 1TB SATA drive

- Blu ray drive/burner (replaced the factory DVD burner)

- Upgraded RAM to max 16GB (replaced the one 2GB stick for 2x 4GB, matched specs to the other 2x 4GB sticks)

After installing the new EVGA nVIDIA GeForce GT 730 card (I checked to make sure specs were compatible with motherboard), my computer does not boot. It stops at the HP blue screen which displays a message similar to "press ESC to setup." Once I press ESC, screen goes black and absolutely nothing happens (no beeps or hardware noise to indicate something is happening). 

The manufacturer does recommend a PSU of at least 300W for this video card. Seeing that this model does not require extra power, I thought it may work. This is what I have done so far, without success:

- Removed power, cleared CMOS, unplugged power from bluray drive. Turned system on, same result.

- Removed power, cleared CMOS, also unplugged power from additional SATA drive. Turned system on, same result.

- Removed power, cleared CMOS, reconnected all hardware, installed old video card (Radeon HD-7450). Works.

These are my questions:

- I have read a few other members having issues with the lack of UEFI firmware support on our PCs, but I could not locate any information regarding the need of UEFI firmware in order to run at EVGA, or the user's manual. Could this be the obstacle to my upgrade?

- Do I need a PSU with higher wattage to run this video card? I assumed the removing power from the other 2 components would make up for any extra load this new video card would need to draw from the PSU, maybe it was not enough...

If this card needs UEFI firmware, I may be able to return/replace it. If it doesn't, then I would need a bigger PSU (assuming the video card is not the issue, even though it did give me the HP ~boot screen)

What are your suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 REPLY
Provost Provost
Provost
20635 2274 7569
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

H8-1214 Video Card upgrade to nVIDIA GT 730

@Jonad, welcome to the forum.

Your problem is not having UEFI in the motherboard.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The last cards that didn't require UEFI are the GTX 660/670's.  The power supply unit (PSU) would require upgrading, also.  Most members report that a 300W PSU doesn't work in many instances.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K (OC'd to 5.2 GHz); 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation