cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
johnygo78
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD not detected

envy dv7
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

hi ...i have an envy dv7 with a crashed HDD ..i replaced the HDD and when i am trying to install windows if i am in UEFI, HDD is not detected (there is no boot device) i changed the mbr to gpt and when i was trying to install windows, my installing wizard can not detect HDD ...i installed in legacy mode( secure boot disabled ) i was abled to install ... but after installing when i change the mode to UEFI again boot device not detected...i tried with different windows 8 installing USBs created for BIOS or UEFI neither of them works ...when i searched this problem in google first web site is HP so it seems this is a normal prob lem with HPs and yet no good answer..  

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Jay_101
Level 7
750 736 67 131
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD not detected

Greetings,

I am a little fuzzy on what's happening here. Is the HDD detected in BIOS?

Win 8 supports UEFI. So disable legacy boot, enable secure boot, enable fast boot.

Load or insert DVD or USB stick.

Reboot and tap "ESC". Select "Boot Menu".

Select UEFI boot device, either DVD or USB. 

You should be able to run UEFI-GPT setup now.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
johnygo78
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD not detected

HDD is a new one . In bios setting if UEFI enabled no hdd or any boot option available . Only if change it to legacy, it detects boot options in boot menu ( f9)
0 Kudos
Jay_101
Level 7
750 736 67 131
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD not detected

Hi,

Tap "ESC" at boot. Select "Setup" from menu.

Navigate to storage  or devices in BIOS.

Do you see the HDD?

If the HDD is detected in BIOS it should be available as a legacy or EFI device when installing Windows. An MBR vs GPT install is determined on whether you boot to the install media using UEFI or legacy boot option.

How did you create the USB media? You may have set the USB stick as MBR only. So it will not appear as a bootable UEFI device in the boot menu.

If you want GPT you must select the bootable Windows 8 media under UEFI boot devices when in the boot menu.

I have installed Win 7, 8, 8.1, and Win 10 many times using GPT and have never seen what you are describing.

Can't help any further. Maybe another forum member has additional thoughts.

Jay

0 Kudos
Highlighted
johnygo78
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD not detected

I created my win 8 bootable usb using rufus software in which you have options for uefi or bios or both of them i tried both if them so whith uefi i converted hdd to gpt . My main problem is that why a brand new hdd (out of box) is not detected in uefi mode ? As i am trying this for last 2 days i searched a lot and i can see there are othere hp owners with 100% same problem and yet unsolved .
0 Kudos
Jay_101
Level 7
750 736 67 131
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD not detected

Hi,

I created a GPT Win 7 USB stick as follows:

Converted Win 7 DVD to ISO using Cyberlink Power2Go.

Downloaded Rufus.

Used Rufus to create a bootable Win 7 USB stick. You have to change the bootable partition scheme from MBR to GPT before creating the USB stick.

Jay

0 Kudos
Jay_101
Level 7
750 736 67 131
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD not detected

Hi,

It must be something with your BIOS.

I have installed new HDD's cloned HDD's to SSD's on many occasions. Never had a problem with using GPT on any of the new drives.

Again, I have never seen what is happening to you.

Jay

0 Kudos
johnygo78
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD not detected

The problem is that this is my job . It is suppose to be 30 min thing
0 Kudos
johnygo78
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD not detected

The problem is that this is my job . It is suppose to be 30 min thing i never had such a problem ever before
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation